Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maps of Narvik in 1940?

3 posters

Go down

Maps of Narvik in 1940? Empty Maps of Narvik in 1940?

Post  comcast Wed 13 Nov 2013 - 0:01

I have read that it was the British NID that planned the landings etc. for the Allied Forces in April 1940.
Beside the Baedeker 1912 Guide to that area, what other maps could have  been used by ground troops?

Going after the Railroad seemed like a key objective.  

Where there local road maps that showed the Ofoten RR in enough detail to use for identifying bridges and tunnels?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,   Jack in the USA

comcast

Back to top Go down

Maps of Narvik in 1940? Empty Re: Maps of Narvik in 1940?

Post  Robert Mårtensson Thu 14 Nov 2013 - 19:03

Unfortunately I have no idea, except that there existed topographical maps of Norway. If they were available to the British is another question.
I would just like to second your question. I would be very interested in maps of Norway from before and during the war.

Cheers
Robert M
Robert Mårtensson
Robert Mårtensson

Back to top Go down

Post  kjetilk Tue 31 Dec 2013 - 12:37

The British NWEF did not have any good maps for the landing grounds at all. In fact they very much relied on recc flights to identifiy suitable places to land. Compared to the Germans, NWEF were ill planned and lacked vital supplies for artic warfare. It is interesting to see how little topographical information the British had, and they indeed concluded that this was most unfortunate and that the Germans seemed to have far better information and maps available. This was one of the lessons learned in Norway.

Planning of the landing in Norway was done by Directorate of Planning, and various sources of intellilgence was used for this purpose, including NID. It is obvious that naval intelligence was needed as the troops had to be transported to Norway by Admiralty and supplied by sea. The main objectives were blocking the iron ore by landing in Northern-Norway and prevent the Germans in establishing a U-boat base in Narvik. On 25. May, Cheifs of Staff decided to withdraw from Norway due to the situation in France, and this was done in the beginning of June.

Sources: documents in AIR 41, AIR 36, AIR 20, WO 106, CAB 79.

Kjetilk

kjetilk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down