Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Norwegian veterans from WWII

5 posters

Go down

Norwegian veterans from WWII Empty Norwegian veterans from WWII

Post  Cutstone Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 3:14

I'm a member of a local "bygdebok" committee responsible for the books about Sola municipality from 1930 - 2000. In that connection we're now working our way through various sources concerning WWII. We want to make an as complete as possible list of the persons that took an active part during the war, including: soldiers during the fighting in April/May 1940, sailors, resistance in Norway and people leaving the country to fight abroad. Are there any lists available which name these various veterans? Where are the list of persons getting medals - ex. Deltagermedaljen.
Sincerely
Atle
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Norwegian veterans from WWII Empty Re: Norwegian veterans from WWII

Post  Bjørn Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 13:51

Hello!

"We want to make an as complete as possible list of the persons that took an active part during the war, including: soldiers during the fighting in April/May 1940, sailors, resistance in Norway and people leaving the country to fight abroad."

Does this include the frontfighters?

B.

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 21:34

From February 6-10 until April 7 1940 there was a Neutrality Guard company at Sola/Tananger "Pionerkompani nr. 3"
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Oyvind Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 22:06

Retired professor at University of Stavanger Per Asbjørn Holst could be a valuable source

Oyvind

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Thu 11 Sep 2008 - 16:42

Hello!
There was at least one Sola-frontfighter from the legion that was killed in 42. He was from Sola.
Would he be included in the book? Picture and info is available.

B.

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Sat 13 Sep 2008 - 18:24

Bjørn and I do have different opinions about the socalled "Frontfighters". At first when I read his posting, I got a bit annoyed.

My first thought was: What the heck. This will be the local Hall of fame, not the Criminal Cronicles!

However when I had some time to really think it through, I had to admit to myself that from Bjørn's point of view this was a natural question to ask.

Wether the editors of the book want to add the Frontfighters or not, are their descision.

My advice is to either include them, or exclude them. But if you exclude them, give a stating why. Do not let them not beeing mentioned without a word. At least it is a important point how many from the region the book covers who signed up for SS.
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Sat 13 Sep 2008 - 19:17

Hello!

Bjørn and I do have different opinions about the socalled "Frontfighters". At first when I read his posting, I got a bit annoyed.

What different opinion? I cannot see why you got annoyed? The author was asking, amongst other things, for those "that went abroad to fight". And the frontfighters did so.

My first thought was: What the heck. This will be the local Hall of fame, not the Criminal Cronicles!

A "Bygdebok" is no Hall of Fame, is it? Sola or not. Even local publications should be as correct as possible.

However when I had some time to really think it through, I had to admit to myself that from Bjørn's point of view this was a natural question to ask.

AltForNorge: I do indeed strongly believe that the frontfighters etc were a part of the history. I guess you feel the same, so we in that matter have the same point of view.

Wether the editors of the book want to add the Frontfighters or not, are their descision.

Of course!!

My advice is to either include them, or exclude them. But if you exclude them, give a stating why. Do not let them not beeing mentioned without a word. At least it is a important point how many from the region the book covers who signed up for SS.

Very good said, and indeed we agree totally for once! History must cover what really happened, and not be dictated by political correctness.

B.

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Sat 13 Sep 2008 - 19:22

Bjørn has reached the core element. Not all did behave "correctly". But History must be correct. My advice is to give the stories about our heroes a balanced view, and also give a balanced view about the socalled "Frontfighters" and let the readers be the jugdes of "right or wrong"
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Sat 13 Sep 2008 - 23:48

A big hug to you:-)

B.

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  Terje S Sun 14 Sep 2008 - 0:34

Maybe Kjell B. Husebø could be your man to speak with???
Check this link, he seems to have much info...

http://www.mil.no/multimedia/archive/00020/Nhm267_20831a.RTF

Terje S

Back to top Go down

Norwegian veterans from WWII Empty Norwegian veterans from WWII

Post  Cutstone Tue 30 Sep 2008 - 14:11

I thank you all for usefull inputs. I have been away for a while so I could not answere you at once.
But I'm back. I like the discussion about those that fought on the eastern front. Clearly they had various reasons for doing this, some fighting for the germans, but my personal opinion is that most of them were just fighting against the Bolsheviks. This has, is and will be discussed in similar gatherings for years to come. Still too many feelings on this subject. Thats the same in our commitee, some old folks and some younger. In the end it will be up to the writer.
We know of only one Frontkjemper from Sola, and he died on the eastern front. As so often was the case his best friend was a member of the local resistance. They were friends to the end.
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Tue 30 Sep 2008 - 22:19

I may have mentioned it before. In the village my mother grew up, one of her freinds went to Spain in the International Brigade to fight Franco, and later his brother went to CCCP to fight Stalin
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down