Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1942 Sailboat - built in Hvaler, Norway - WW2 Treasure?

4 posters

Go down

1942 Sailboat - built in Hvaler, Norway - WW2 Treasure? Empty 1942 Sailboat - built in Hvaler, Norway - WW2 Treasure?

Post  Christopher Sat 11 Sep 2010 - 5:32

Hi my name's Christopher, here's my story.

My Father bought a large wooden sailboat, built in Hvaler, Norway in 1942 with the name "Terren" over 10 years ago, since then he's been rebuilding it. The boat's floor down below still has not been finished, and inbetween boards it is filled with concrete. I have become interested in this very concrete recently after the previous owner told my Father that he had cracked and dug into a piece of concrete near the bow and within the concrete found semi-precious stones worth quite a bit of money. My Father and I after hearing this broke open just a few of the layers of concrete only to find empty clear glass bottles laying within the concrete (strange), no treasure, no nothing - this was last year. Since then I have moved back near my parents house and am interested in possibly going back into this old boat and cracking open all of the concrete (with my Dad's permission) and seeing what else in hidding away in this old wooden beauty.

What I'm wondering is this:

Can anyone tell me, or give me more info, on what Norway was doing during 1942 to hide any valuables from Germany invading?
From what I've read and been learning, they possibly would have layed valuables in this boat so Nazis would not find them.

My family is from Norway as well as Danmark and Sweden. I honestly hope I'm not offending anyone with this topic, I'm simply interested in the history of this boat as well as what it may have hidden within it.

Thank you all very much,
-Christopher

Christopher

Back to top Go down

1942 Sailboat - built in Hvaler, Norway - WW2 Treasure? Empty Re: 1942 Sailboat - built in Hvaler, Norway - WW2 Treasure?

Post  Bjørn Wed 22 Sep 2010 - 3:08

Hello!
Welcome, Christopher!

Can anyone tell me, or give me more info, on what Norway was doing during 1942 to hide any valuables from Germany invading?
From what I've read and been learning, they possibly would have layed valuables in this boat so Nazis would not find them.

In 1942 Norway had been invaded for 2 years already, and to my knowledge - as I read your question, there was not much to hide at that time. The NS government, led by Quisling, did some efforts in that manner indeed - talking about money and state property , but in the way you ask, I guess you mean silver, gold, diamonds etc???

To my knowledge: nothing was hidden in 42.

B.

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

1942 Sailboat - built in Hvaler, Norway - WW2 Treasure? Empty Re: 1942 Sailboat - built in Hvaler, Norway - WW2 Treasure?

Post  Johan F. Wed 22 Sep 2010 - 12:10

Hi Chris,

I`m shooting from the hip here (although one rarely hits anything that way Very Happy ),

the story sounds quite improbable, if indeed there was anything to hide, why do so in a boat`s hull (it might sink, be requisitioned etc), when it would be a lot simpler to hide stuff on land.

Could the glass bottles simply have been put in the concrete as a simple way of increasing the buoyancy?

If the boat already is destined to be scrapped I guess it won`t matter anyway, but I wouldn`t ruin an otherwise sound hull. Shocked

Johan F.

Johan F.

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Wed 22 Sep 2010 - 18:04

There were many reasons for hiding things. One was of course that they were afraid for the Germans. Other reasons were Illegal earnings. Black market, stolen from Jews. etc. etc.

I know of a person who tore down his uncle's old house. Between the walls he found cartons of war time cigarettes. Obviously connected to the Black Market.
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Christopher Tue 28 Sep 2010 - 20:35

I think my Father was going to remove the concrete anyway, so I'm going to plan a day and go in there and play Indiana Jones for a day... hahaha.

I just have to know since the other owner found something already.

Christopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down