Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British submarine loss

2 posters

Go down

British submarine loss Empty British submarine loss

Post  Bob Pearson Wed 31 Oct 2012 - 13:53

Does anyone know of a loss of a British submarine off the west coast during the war? I have no firm date, but possibly between 1942 and 1943. The witness states that a British lifeboat was brought in to harbour - possibly Haugesund or Stavanger - with 14 sailors all sitting calmly. Unfortunately, they had frozen to death.

Secondly, does anyone know of a British submarine (I do not know if it is the same one as above) that dropped off an agent or agents in the Haugesund area? The date is broad again 1942-1943.

Lastly, does anyone know of a resistance man called Hans Ronning or Rønning or even Rønningen? This man would have operated on the west coast - again possibly in the Haugesund area, but I am unsure.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Bob

Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

British submarine loss Empty Hans Rønningen

Post  kaii Sun 4 Nov 2012 - 6:00

Bob,
there is a Norwegian flight officer called Hans Rønningen, that was awarded Krigskorset for his actions during ww2, and even earned a MBE.

One of the events he took part in was the evacuation of radio crew from Western parts of Norway after the Telavåg affair. It is my understanding, though, that he did not operate as part of the resistance movement, but rather as part of the Norwegian Air Force. Not sure if this could be the man you are looking for?

http://www.krigskorset.no/mak-hansronningen.html

As for the sub, the only one I can think of at the moment is the HMS Syrtis, which I believe was sunk by mines in early 1944 - but I think further to the north, off Bodø or so. Not much help I am afraid.

kaii

Back to top Go down

British submarine loss Empty British sub loss

Post  Bob Pearson Sun 4 Nov 2012 - 15:40

Many thanks, Kaii,

I agree with you, the only sub loss is HMS Syrtis and that was in March 1944. I can find no trace of a British sub used for the dropping of an agent 1942-1943. I have also checked the CWGC and cannot find anything that resembles the loss that Sigrid described. Perhaps the sailors were merchantmen?

Hans Rønningen is interesting as the lady in question stated that it was this man who collected her in a row boat when the sub dropped her off. The lady in question is named as Sigrid Green - she recently passed away. However, Norwegian historians are not persuaded of her claims to have worked in Norway during the war and are dismissing her history as fantasy. However, it is known she could speak fluent Norwegian and that she had visited the Norsk Hydro plant pre-war when she stayed with relatives. Her uncle worked at Norsk Hydro.

I must admit that Sigrid's claims have been impossible to verify and therefore the standpoint of historians is perfectly understandable.

Here is the link, which some might find interesting:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/darwen/9985594.Wartime_heroine_spy_from_Darwen_dies_aged_91/

I am in touch with Dr Grimes and PC Higson with regards to Sigrid's war history, but now awaiting replies from various sources including British Intelligence, but don't hold out much hope!

Thanks again, Kaii for your input.

Mvh

Bob

Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

British submarine loss Empty Re: British submarine loss

Post  kaii Sun 4 Nov 2012 - 16:19

Bob, thanks for the link. I'll dig around a bit to see if it is possible to verify some of her claims.

I imagine historians have been trying to verify the claims for some time, so I'd be surprised if anything new comes up, but still, might be worth a try.

If you have any other info that might be useful, could you email it ti me at kaiisaksen@gmail.com?

kaii

Back to top Go down

British submarine loss Empty Sub Loss

Post  Bob Pearson Sun 4 Nov 2012 - 16:22

Hi kaii,

Will do

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

British submarine loss Empty Re: British submarine loss

Post  Sponsored content