Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8th Bn Sherwood Foresters - Last stand at Tretten

+3
greyhound
norwaynut
Bjørn
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

8th Bn Sherwood Foresters - Last stand at Tretten  - Page 2 Empty Re: 8th Bn Sherwood Foresters - Last stand at Tretten

Post  PeterWood Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 22:11

Hello Steve,

On the basis of your evidence alone, that is were both matters will rest as far as I am concerned! Historical accuracy is all and nothing should be taken for granted or any likelihoods fixed in place of corroborated, fully confirmed facts. I learned that lesson the hard way when investigating our family tree through Ancestry.

Pete.

PeterWood

Back to top Go down

8th Bn Sherwood Foresters - Last stand at Tretten  - Page 2 Empty Re: 8th Bn Sherwood Foresters - Last stand at Tretten

Post  johnthebike50 Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 1:01

Good evening,
Well I still cannot pin it down, but you are correct he was based in Newark on Sherwood Avenue.so either B company or HQ, he was with Jack Coolin and Jack Drury who were captured amongst others.
He told of the struggle of moving through the deep snow, very tiring, and if you rested and put your kit down on the snow you could loose it especially a hot Lea Enfeild!
When they were reteating from the farm house and saw how high the climb over the mountains were they had considered a rail tunnel, but as it was curved
the prospect of a train was a worry as there as no clear view through. Are there any tunnels on the route that was taken

johnthebike50

Back to top Go down

Post  johnthebike50 Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 1:23

Steve.

The photo of the men marching from the rail station at Tretton, I have studied closely, the left hand column, the shortest man midway along. although his face is partly obscured does look very much like dad !

John.

johnthebike50

Back to top Go down

8th Bn Sherwood Foresters - Last stand at Tretten  - Page 2 Empty 75th Anniversary of the battle of Tretten

Post  SteveFoster Thu 23 Apr 2015 - 23:33

Remembering the men of the 8th Foresters and 5th Leicesters (148 Inf Bde TA) who seventy five years ago today, on St George's Day, made their last stand at Tretten against the German 196 Armoured Division "Pellengahr".  By 9pm the Brigade had been overrun and the majority had been killed, wounded or captured.

A little know action in a little known campaign of World war Two.

Steve Foster

SteveFoster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2