Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Major Neeth - German officer & Dr Weber - Legation?

3 posters

Go down

Major Neeth - German officer & Dr Weber - Legation? Empty Major Neeth - German officer & Dr Weber - Legation?

Post  Bob Pearson Tue 5 May 2009 - 20:32

Does anyone know anything about a Major Neeth - possible German infantry officer who was in Oslo on April 9/10th. Also, information is welcome on a Dr Weber - possibly part of the German legation in Oslo.

As always, any inforrmation, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, is very welcome.

Kind regards,

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Major Neeth - German officer & Dr Weber - Legation? Empty Re: Major Neeth - German officer & Dr Weber - Legation?

Post  Bjørn Thu 7 May 2009 - 21:23

Hello!
"Neeth" does not sound German at all, does it?

Could it be that you are meaning maj. Fr. W Neef? he was the leader of the Wirtschaftsstab in Norway, also liason officer from OKW for the political German leadership in Norway.

Walter Weber was in the German legation in Oslo. Until the 6th June 40, when the legation ceased to exist. Weber was ordered to serve with Terboven. The legation was ipso facto thrown out of Norway by the latter.

B.

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Major Neeth - German officer & Dr Weber - Legation? Empty Major Neef - German officer & Dr Weber - Legation?

Post  Bob Pearson Thu 7 May 2009 - 21:32

Hei Bjorn,

Many thanks for the reply and correction. The name Neeth - as written - came from a Norwegian book, but I was only given the scan of one page so I had limited information to go on. I agree with your correction as Neeth doesn't sound very German, but Neef certainly does.

By chance do you know if there is any connection with Major Neef and another officer called Erik (might be Erich) Opitz? This officer conducted interviews/interrogations during the very early days of the invasion and towards the end of April was at Lillehammer and Molde, and I assume Aandalsnes perhaps.

BTW Do you happen to know how Major Neef arrived in Oslo - was it by ship or plane?

Regards,

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Major Neeth - German officer & Dr Weber - Legation? Empty Major Neef - German officer & Dr Weber - Legation?

Post  Bob Pearson Thu 7 May 2009 - 21:53

Bjorn,

Am I right in thinking that the Wirtschaftsstab is some sort of economic group or am I mistaken?

regards,

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Major Neeth - German officer & Dr Weber - Legation? Empty Re: Major Neeth - German officer & Dr Weber - Legation?

Post  Bjørn Thu 7 May 2009 - 22:24

Hello!
Yes, it is within economic matters.
Neef, if it´s really him, was in Group XXI, that is all I know. From which Norwegian book did your scan come from? I am not familiar with Erich Opitz - what was his position? Intelligence officer?

B.

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Major Neeth - German officer & Dr Weber - Legation? Empty Re: Major Neef - Norway 1940

Post  Bob Pearson Fri 8 May 2009 - 20:22

Hi Bjorn,

Unfortunately, the scan was sent to me with few details so I will contact the sender for more information. I don't know if Neef is a common german name, but it is one I have not come across before, but being part of a German economic group sounds very much like he is my man.

I know little of German groups other than what I have read about in various books - 163 etc, so I know little about the XXI group. By chance, could you expand on their role in Norway?

Opitz interrogated various officials during April/May 1940, along with a Norwegian collaborator who appeared to be well informed of matters, according to the released Norwegians. I don't know if he was Gestapo, SS or other, but it is fair to reason he had something to do with intelligence or at least associated with it in some way.

Sorry I cannot be more specific, but if I chance upon more information I will certainly share it with the forum.

Mvh

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  hoh Sat 9 May 2009 - 21:36

Hei.
According to Tore Pryser (Hitlers hemmelige agenter) Erich Opitz was connected to Maj Benecke of the Abwehr. The two acted under cover as businessmen in Norway since 1937. They also recruited Norwegian Tor Glad as an agent. Opitz and Benecke where declared Persona Non Grata 4th. April 1940, but was still in the country when the invation came.

mvh hans olav

hoh

Back to top Go down

Major Neeth - German officer & Dr Weber - Legation? Empty Major Neef

Post  Bob Pearson Mon 11 May 2009 - 17:56

Hi Hans Olav,

and thanks for the info. I am now attempting to see if there is any link with Opitz and Neef. It could be there was only minimal contact if any. What is of major interest in Opitz's Norwegian side-kick. he was known as Sandersen (christian name unknown), but this is probably a cover name of sorts. he was certainly at Molde with Opitz when they were carrying out their interrogations/interviews.

Bjorn - I received an answer from my contact concerning the book. It is: Norges Bank under okkupasjonen, Oslo 1945, J.Chr. Gundersen, Boktrykkeri. I may be incorrect in my assumption, but did Neef go on to join the SS? I know little on Weber, but was he oif Norwegian descent or purely German? Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Wed 13 May 2009 - 20:07

Hello!
I see! That book contains several errors, as most Norwegian war books in the 40s, 50s and 60s. I am quite sure that it must be Neef. I have no idea about what happened to him. Weber was pure German.

I am getting curious - why researching these men?? Share with us.
About Neef, this gives good information about their work:

http://www.bundesarchiv.de/foxpublic/C32D23A70A06221200000000757F2A96/findmittelinfo.html

B

Last edited by Bjørn on Wed 13 May 2009 - 20:10; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot adding link)

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pearson Wed 13 May 2009 - 21:25

Hi Bjorn,

and many thanks for the link - most useful.

I carried out some limited research and can confirm that it is NEEF and not how I wrote it previously. Neef worked with Curt Brauer and another chap called Sarnow, of whom I can find no christian name for some odd reason.

The page that was scanned to me claims that Neef arrived at Norges Bank on the 11th April, but other reports state it was the 12th. Whatever the correct date I have found out that there were a couple of meetings. at the bank, which involved the Germans. The first one was preparatory, but was quickly followed by another. Sarnow and Brauer worked with Neef intially, but were then tasked with other duties away fom Norway apparently.

Neef, intially involved with raw materials, and Sarnow were part of an 'economic exploitation' group that had been tasked with visiting Norges Bank to ascertain if any gold had been left behind/what gold was deposited abroad etc. NB officials informed the Germans that the gold was at Lillehammer, but of course by the time the Germans eventually took Lillehammer the gold was gone.

My interest in the gold is long standing, not because of the gold itself, but with the people who played a part in its disappearance and those who tried to find it, albeit unsuccessfully. The single biggest oustanding mystery though, is naming ALL of the Norwegian soldiers who played a direct part with the transport. To date, I have 24 names out of the 33 soldiers that took part, including the two NCos and the officer, and despite extensive researching in Norway and the UK I have not yet been able to name these missing men with 100% certainty. There is also the strange story of the so-called spy at Romsdalhorn as well as attempting to identify the Norwegian who worked closely with Erich Opitz during the interrogation of bank staff at a later date.

I would of course be very pleased to hear from anyone who can add to my list of names or knows about the incident at Romsdalhorn.

Thanks again Bjorn for your input.

Mvh

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down