Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help me find Bergen area museum

+2
Tore
johnson
6 posters

Go down

Please help me find Bergen area museum Empty Please help me find Bergen area museum

Post  johnson Wed 3 Aug 2011 - 17:22

I understand there is a village museum in the Bergen area with remains of a Skua which crashed into a mountainside on 13 September 1940. I believe my uncle was the pilot. Would be grateful if anyone can give me any information. Celia Johnson

johnson

Back to top Go down

Please help me find Bergen area museum Empty Re: Please help me find Bergen area museum

Post  AltforNorge Wed 3 Aug 2011 - 23:36

You can start here:

http://www.bymuseet.no/?spr=en
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Please help me find Bergen area museum Empty Some information and photos

Post  Tore Thu 4 Aug 2011 - 16:11

Here are some info on the crash:

Skua 13.09.1940

and some other photos from the site.

Prior salvage attempt
and
area surrounding crash site
and
Airplane wreck 1
and
Airplane wreck 2
and
Closeup of cocpit part

Tore

Back to top Go down

Please help me find Bergen area museum Empty Re Skua 13/9/1940

Post  johnson Thu 4 Aug 2011 - 20:35

Tore - Thank you very much for the information re my uncle, Edward Harwin. I can now pass on this info to his sister and maybe visit the area in Norway in the not too distant future. Celia.

johnson

Back to top Go down

Please help me find Bergen area museum Empty Re: Please help me find Bergen area museum

Post  AltforNorge Thu 4 Aug 2011 - 21:13

AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore Fri 5 Aug 2011 - 15:17

In case you would like to have digital copies of the photos, let me know.

Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutstone Mon 8 Aug 2011 - 13:28

Were the victims put in graves localy, below the crash site?
On the picture "Airplane wreck 2" it looks like a grave, where the person to the right puts on more turf and the one to the left places a cross or something smiliar. That would be strange, but maybe the terrain and location made this more practical??
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Mon 8 Aug 2011 - 13:50

The Germans buried the bodies in the vincinities of the wreck. The local population resented this, the bodies not buried in sacred earth an dug the bodies up and transferred them to the local cemetry where they were given a christian burial. After the war, the bodies of very many allied servicemen were sentralised to a fewer number of cemeteries, and thus their bodies were transferred to a graveyard at Haugesund.

See my link to this page: http://ktsorens.tihlde.org/flyvrak/andvik.html
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutstone Tue 9 Aug 2011 - 1:43

Then I guess they are two of these.
Atle

Please help me find Bergen area museum April-10
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Tue 9 Aug 2011 - 17:30

If this is Rossbø cemetary at Haugesund, they lies in that graves.
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutstone Tue 9 Aug 2011 - 22:24

Yes sorry, this is Rossabø, the commonwealth graves. Close by is also the grave of a soviet POW that died not far away.
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Please help me find Bergen area museum Empty Looking for gravesites

Post  AltforNorge Wed 10 Aug 2011 - 0:01

There is an organization photographing gravestones:

http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php

Up til now, more than 2 000 000 gravstones are registered and by choosing Village/city, graveyard and name, you will find the grave stone.

Iin July only, 17 graveyards were registered.
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Please help me find Bergen area museum Empty Gravesites

Post  Cutstone Wed 10 Aug 2011 - 1:37

This is an excellent site. We started this localy in Tananger in the mid 1990's and got a great response, especially from the US. DIS-Norge has taken the stick and run with it. A great result that I have used a lot in my own research. Here one can get information that is closed in other archives. Good stuff. Keep up the good work!!
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Post  arnebw Fri 12 Aug 2011 - 10:24

Hello Celia
The local museum is The Bjørn West Museum in Matre, in Masfjorden. Here you find some parts of the plane and photos. See bjornwest.no.
Regards Arne Berg

arnebw

Back to top Go down

Please help me find Bergen area museum Empty Andvik

Post  Skygge Mon 7 May 2012 - 7:24

Anybody knows if the wreck is still in Svartadalen, or has it been stripped down? It's not that far from where I live but I don't want to lose a day checking... and it's in the asshole of Norway, not much people to ask to, but I'll throw a mail to Bjørn West Museum...

And by the way, there is a svartadalen in Andvik but it doesnt fit with the stories told and the landscape (waterfall nearby etc). To place the place on the map it's apparently on the north, steep sude of Øvredalen east of Storvatnet (the bggest one, because here again there is 2 in Andvik).

If Svartadalen is also the name given by the locals to this upper-valleys, it's anyways not written down on maps.

Skygge

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skygge/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down