Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Landungswasserschlepper (LWS) in Finnmark?

4 posters

Go down

Landungswasserschlepper (LWS) in Finnmark? Empty Landungswasserschlepper (LWS) in Finnmark?

Post  Bjørn Mon 13 Oct 2008 - 13:50

Hello!
There was an amazing German amphibious vechicle called "Landungswasserschlepper" (LWS), see pictures:

Landungswasserschlepper (LWS) in Finnmark? 141241mlwsfinal781mw3.thLandungswasserschlepper (LWS) in Finnmark? Thpix

In July 1942, Pionier-Landungs-Kompanie 540, which was equipped with one LWS arrived in Kirkenes, and later moved to Vadsø. It was planned to have participated in operation "Wiesengrund", but stayed in Vadsø Sept 42-Sept 44. Later in 1944 moved to Nesseby. Oct1944, the company was in the vinicity of Altafjord, where they sank most of the vessels etc they had.

Can anyone say more of the possibility that there was one LWS in Norway?
The LWS could have been transported with M/S Levante from Aalborg to Kirkenes.

B.

Last edited by Bjørn on Mon 13 Oct 2008 - 14:23; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Misspelling)

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Landungswasserschlepper (LWS) in Finnmark? Empty Re: Landungswasserschlepper (LWS) in Finnmark?

Post  Frank R Wed 15 Oct 2008 - 16:27

Wow - never seen this one before.

Maybe someone Alta Museum have any information on it. This must be pretty rare.

Frank R

Back to top Go down

Landungswasserschlepper (LWS) in Finnmark? Empty Re: Landungswasserschlepper (LWS) in Finnmark?

Post  Bjørn Wed 15 Oct 2008 - 17:11

Yes, they sure are.
Here are some amazing pictures: http://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/landwasserschlepper.htm

It is said it was only a little more than 20 of this futuristic vessel. So I am most curious if one ever was in Norway.

B.

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon Thu 16 Oct 2008 - 20:54

It was actually called the Landwasserschlepper rather than landungs.

It'd be interesting to know more about how the kompanie was equipped as in '44 it's listed as having 40 MG34 and 9 landungsboote, that's a lot of firepower for a kompanie of some 250 men.

The Kp. was an independent unit under the XIX Geb.Korps and administered by Pionier Rgt. stab zbV 550

Simon

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Sat 18 Oct 2008 - 18:56

Hello!
Indeed a rather well-equipped unit.
According to the information provided below, it had (in 42) one LWS (Yes, Simon, it is Landwasserschlepper), 13 differend vessels, and 45 MG 42 for FLA-protection. Hard to belive that they only had 150 men..

But - back to the LWS, are there any evidence of one on Norway?

B.

Die Landungs-Pionier-Kompanie 540 wurde von Januar bis April 1942 beim Lehrzug L des Pionier-Ersatz-Bataillons 2 in Dievenow / Pommern aufgestellt. Die Kompanie erhielt 1 Land-Wasser-Schlepper, 13 Landungs- und 8 leichte Sturmboote, dazu 45 MG 42 als Fla-Waffen.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/LandungsPiKp/LandungsPiKp540.htm

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Sat 18 Oct 2008 - 19:42

Noe fritt oversatt fra lenka Bjørn satte inn:

I september 1942 ble kompaniet forlagt i Vadsø, fra hvor det også skulle sørge for beskyttelse av støttepunkter og flyplasser langs ishavskysten og (støtte for) troppeforflytninger ved og over Varangerfjordetn. Kompaniet ble satt inn som støtte for materielltransport for Organisasjon Todt. Framfor alt, fra begynnelsen av 1944 fikk kompaniet tap grunnet russiske fly. I september 1944 ble kompaniet grunnet russik luftoverlegenhet flyttet fra Vadsø og forlagt i Nesseby. Til 28. oktober 1944 gjennomførte de "rucklandungen" i Varangerfjorden (rygglanding, landsettelse bak fiendens linjer?) Fra 29. til 11. november ble kompaniet forlagt i Kvænangsfjorden, over Altafjorden. På forhånd ble alle sjødyktige båter senket. Fra 15. desember gikk kompaniet inn i Ingeniørbataljon Schären.

Dette skulle både være en indikasjon på at kompaniet var i Norge, og ikke minst hvor materiellet ble senket.
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon Sun 19 Oct 2008 - 13:51

I det forbindelse 'rucklandungen' vil betyr tilbaketrekning og evakuering. "Ingeniørbataljon Schären" var Pionier Schären batallion Norwegen som i mars 45 var delt i to for å lage 2 nye bataljoner, pionier schären batallion 761 i Nord Norge og 762 i Sør. 761 had sin stab i Ballangen men også had enheter ved Lyngseidet.

Simon

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Sun 19 Oct 2008 - 14:35

Hei!
Det er ingen tvil om at de var i Norge, nei.
Da er det en viss mulighet for at det ligger en LWS et eller annet sted nordpå?

B.

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down