Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

movements around Bergen.

4 posters

Go down

movements around Bergen. Empty movements around Bergen.

Post  norwaynut Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 1:21

Hi Guys, first question. I can find no info in English about troop movements around Bergen in April 1940. Everything is either about the day of the invasion or later when the 4th Brigade moved East to Valdres.
I am particularly interested in the Norwegian infantry battalion 1/IR9.
I have two small nuggets of info to go on:

1: 1/IR9 was still in existence on 24 april (according to Robert M's site) but did not go to Valdres with the 4th brigade.
2: according to Derry the Norwegian forces were "able to repulse the first German push out of Bergen".

so my first questions are:
1:Did the 1/IR9 remain at its depot in Ulven and eventually capitulate there? Or did it move to act as a rearguard for the 4th brigade assembling at Voss? Looking at the map the logical place to make a stand would be Sammanger.
2: on what date and where did the "first German push" occur? Does anybody know any details?

James in England

norwaynut

Back to top Go down

movements around Bergen. Empty Re: movements around Bergen.

Post  AltforNorge Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 15:46

1: 1/IR9 was still in existence on 24 april (according to Robert M's site) but did not go to Valdres with the 4th brigade.

Yes and no. IR9 had to muster nearly all their forces to form 4th brigade in Valdres. The rest, among this, 1/IR9 were fighting along the railway from Bergen towards Voss. They also fought near Hønefoss (Hallingdal) The last remenissance capitulated in May 1th.

2: according to Derry the Norwegian forces were "able to repulse the first German push out of Bergen".

Onyl hours. The campain was a constant retreat. Steffens ordered the bulk of the troops to retreat to Voss April 10th 0015.

1:Did the 1/IR9 remain at its depot in Ulven and eventually capitulate there? Or did it move to act as a rearguard for the 4th brigade assembling at Voss? Looking at the map the logical place to make a stand would be Sammanger.

The night to April 9th, the 1/IR9 was ordered to Bergen. They later fought as a reargard for the 4 brigade assembling at Voss

2: on what date and where did the "first German push" occur? Does anybody know any details?

April 10th the Germans started their push against Voss
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut Mon 14 Dec 2009 - 12:41

hmm thanks but I was hoping to find more specific details. Are there any sources in Norwegian ? Did General Steffens write a memoir for instance? Is there a regimental museum for IR9 in existence that may hold records?

While I am asking about Norwegian sources, is there an English translation of the book "Krigen I Norge"?

James santa

norwaynut

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Mon 14 Dec 2009 - 22:10

The authoritative source for this topic is "Generalmajor Hansteen: ”Kampene på Vestlandet og i Hallingdal og Numedal” " I don't think it is translated into English.
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut Mon 14 Dec 2009 - 22:49

AltforNorge wrote:The authoritative source for this topic is "Generalmajor Hansteen: ”Kampene på Vestlandet og i Hallingdal og Numedal” " I don't think it is translated into English.

Thanks Altfor . Another piece of the puzzle! Very Happy

James

norwaynut

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Mon 14 Dec 2009 - 23:52

Hello!
Yes, a puzzle indeed, as the formal deployments, reports etc of the Norwegian Army were quite ad hoc in those days. So the Norwegian movements, especially in the southern parts of Norway, are difficult to research. Most books written in the time right after 1945 tend to be rather inaccurate as well. Makes it more interesting though.

B

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  Lars B Tue 15 Dec 2009 - 22:12

You find some details of what happened, and a list of officers of I/IR9 in april 1940 in the book about IR10: "Fjordane Infanteriregiment nr 10 i gamal og ny tid" by oberst II J Bragstad, published in 1996, by Elanders forlag. But, again, everything is in Norwegian.

Lars B

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Tue 15 Dec 2009 - 23:17

I guess you will find better material regardin IR9, not IR10
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Lars B Wed 16 Dec 2009 - 17:30

Of course you find better material, but not much, and not much that is both fairly brief and correct. The book describes the movements and fighting I/IR9 did in 1940. The reason for parts of IR9 being a topic in a book on IR10, is that parts of IR9 on April 10. were placed under the command of colonel Østbye, CO of IR10. Col Blom, CO IR9, was made plasskommandant of Voss.
You could always turn to col Østbye's own book, and it would not surprise me to learn that IR9 also has it's own book!

Lars B

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut Thu 17 Dec 2009 - 3:40

This good information Lars, many thanks. Being a more recent book I am more likely to find a copy at a decent price. I guess I will have to learn some Norwegian in my old age!

I did recently find a link in Norwegian which appeared to be a brief regimental history of IR9. Unfortunately Google would not translate it as it was too big. had a couple of interesting photos which gave a clue.

Another tack I can take is German records which I heard are often very thorough. Which German Gebirgsjager regiment was in Bergen?

James

norwaynut

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Thu 17 Dec 2009 - 19:59

Yes IR9 has its own book: Hordaland infanteriregiment nr 9 : IR 9 som del av Vestlandets landsforsvar, by Vigar Aabrek - ISBN: 978-82-070-2054-0 - Published 2003
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut Fri 18 Dec 2009 - 0:38

Thanks Altfor. Is that a general Regimental history or just specific to the events of 1940?

James

norwaynut

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut Fri 18 Dec 2009 - 0:58

ah just drawn a blank on both the IR9 and IR10 books on Amazon..... Mad

norwaynut

Back to top Go down

Post  Lars B Fri 18 Dec 2009 - 11:14

Try this adress and search for "infanteriregiment nr 10". They have one used book at abt 60 EUR.

http://www.antikvariat.net/get/search.cgi?post

Lars B

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 1:24

norwaynut wrote:Thanks Altfor. Is that a general Regimental history or just specific to the events of 1940?

James

It is the total regimental history from the 17 century til 1994 - Including WWII
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut Sat 19 Dec 2009 - 21:21

Lars B wrote:Try this adress and search for "infanteriregiment nr 10". They have one used book at abt 60 EUR.

http://www.antikvariat.net/get/search.cgi?post

Ouch!! That is going to have to be an after-New Year purchase if it is still there.....Can't justify it this side of Christmas. I will do my best to get it though. Thanks Lars

norwaynut

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down