Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Norwegian Invasion book by Henrik Lunde

5 posters

Go down

Norwegian Invasion book by Henrik Lunde Empty Norwegian Invasion book by Henrik Lunde

Post  Kosh Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 19:33

I wonder why Henrik Lunde´s very good book on the Norwegian invasion has not been discussed here, while Haarr´s book has? Lunde is also a Norwegian by birth.

Kosh

Back to top Go down

Norwegian Invasion book by Henrik Lunde Empty Henrik Lunde's bok

Post  Bob Pearson Sun 13 Dec 2009 - 22:04

Dear Kosh,

For those of us who have not previously heard of Henrik Lunde or perhaps have not read or heard about his book, could you please give a brief summary of his work? If relevant, could you also include language versions and the ISBN? I, and I suspect others, would be interested in a synopsis.

many thanks,

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Norwegian Invasion book by Henrik Lunde Empty Re: Norwegian Invasion book by Henrik Lunde

Post  Kosh Mon 14 Dec 2009 - 3:57

Happy to oblige, Bob! For some reviews and basics of the book, see here http://www.casematepublishing.com/cgi/titleinfo.pl?sku=9781932033922

Please note that the given page count of 400 is wrong, it is about 600 in fact. Since I haven´t read Haarr´s book yet, I cannot compare them, but Lunde´s emphasis is definitely on the ground combat. I don´t know what is Haarr´s background (=is he a military man or not), but Hank Lunde is a former US Special Operations veteran.

Kosh

Back to top Go down

Norwegian Invasion book by Henrik Lunde Empty Henrik Lunde

Post  Bob Pearson Mon 14 Dec 2009 - 22:04

Dear Kosh,

many thanks for the reply.The book has now been ordered and should be here prior to Christmas.

Thanks again

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Norwegian Invasion book by Henrik Lunde Empty Re: Norwegian Invasion book by Henrik Lunde

Post  AltforNorge Tue 15 Dec 2009 - 0:19

Book ordered here too. From Norway, go to Waterstones. Just a modest fee for sending abroad. santa
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut Tue 15 Dec 2009 - 4:22

looks like one I should be getting too. Thanks for the heads up, kosh!

norwaynut

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut Sun 24 Jan 2010 - 3:26

I just bought the Lunde book. It was £25 from Casemate but luckily I checked Amazon and they had it for £13.14 for a slightly damaged copy. It doesn't matter I will read it till it falls apart anyway.....

norwaynut

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut Sun 24 Jan 2010 - 3:32

Kosh wrote:Happy to oblige, Bob! For some reviews and basics of the book, see here http://www.casematepublishing.com/cgi/titleinfo.pl?sku=9781932033922

Please note that the given page count of 400 is wrong, it is about 600 in fact. Since I haven´t read Haarr´s book yet, I cannot compare them, but Lunde´s emphasis is definitely on the ground combat. I don´t know what is Haarr´s background (=is he a military man or not), but Hank Lunde is a former US Special Operations veteran.

Word is that Haarr's second book is due out any moment which deals more with the ground combat rather than the naval battles...can't wait for that one!!

norwaynut

Back to top Go down

Norwegian Invasion book by Henrik Lunde Empty Geirr Haarr's follow up book

Post  Bob Pearson Sun 24 Jan 2010 - 22:40

Good news - Geirr Haarr's book is scheduled for release in early April. When I hear of a date for confirmed release I will let the forum know.

Incidentally, I was recently in contact with a British naval veteran who served on HMS Hardy at Narvik. He commented on Geirr Haarr's first book, 'The German Invasion of Norway' and in particular the events at Narvik. The veteran stated that "Geirr Haar has written this book as if he had been looking over my shoulder". Praise indeed.

Cheers

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutstone Sat 30 Jan 2010 - 4:43

To get back to the original question.
Kosh ask why the book by Lunde is not discussed here, as Haarr's have been. All the published books about the war in, or conserning, Norway can't be discussed here without someone introducing them. Now you've done that.
I now see that Lundes book got a review here:
https://nuav.forumotion.com/discuss-all-about-norway-during-ww2-f2/book-review-hitlers-pre-emptive-war-by-henrik-o-lunde-t301.htm
By the sound of it Lunde basically writes about Narvik, while Haar gets credit since he writes about the invasion as complete as possible.
I have not yet read any of them, but I might have to.
The final and complete story about the german invasion of Norway will never be told, for many and various reasons. But all serious and researching writers will add new elements to this fascinating history. Keep 'em coming!
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut Sun 31 Jan 2010 - 3:45

norwaynut wrote:I just bought the Lunde book. It was £25 from Casemate but luckily I checked Amazon and they had it for £13.14 for a slightly damaged copy. It doesn't matter I will read it till it falls apart anyway.....

Haha! Update.

I haven't yet got the book. The whole thing is strange. I placed the order online with Amazon and it seemed to go through OK. But a couple of days later I noticed there were no confirming emails and when I looked at my amazon account, no details of any transaction! As far as I know no money has been taken from my bank account which at this moment is the main thing I am worried about. [sigh] Rolling Eyes

norwaynut

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Sun 31 Jan 2010 - 20:25

I ordered from waterstones.com
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Fri 5 Feb 2010 - 18:36

Book received today. Looking forward to the weekend study
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 1:37

A very good book. History is best written some time after the event.
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  norwaynut Fri 5 Mar 2010 - 7:09

AltforNorge wrote:A very good book. History is best written some time after the event.

I finally got mine last week. I agree it is a very good book, I am still reading it. Definitely makes the Derry book look very biased. The relationships between the Norwegian Generals is fascinating. I know I will be reading this again and again and finding new details.

norwaynut

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Fri 5 Mar 2010 - 23:57

Yes, Lunde gives us a portrait of a much more complcated man (Fleischer) than Hovland did
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down