Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Albert Harry Martin RN

2 posters

Go down

Albert Harry Martin RN Empty Albert Harry Martin RN

Post  Bob Pearson Sat 25 Jun 2011 - 20:28

I am sad to announce the passing of Albert Harry Martin RN - Gunner on HMS Aurora. Harry passed away peacefully yesterday, aged 88

Harry, as he liked to be known, joined the Royal Navy in January 1938 and was immediately posted to HMS Ganges - the training establishment at Shotley, Suffolk. NB Anyone who has trained at HMS Ganges is regarded highly within the Royal Navy. In fact to be known as a 'Ganges Boy' was, and still is, readily accepted to be a qualification within itself.

Harry went on to serve with HMS Dunedin, HMS Hawkins, HMS Scimitar and when war was declared he was drafted to HMS Victory. Shortly after, he joined the crew of HMS Aurora (known as the 'Silver Phamtom') and trained as a Gunner with the 6" guns with the rating of Boy 1st Class - he was just 17 years old. Consequently, Harry and HMS Aurora were sent to Norway where the ship came under almost continuous air attack, although Aurora fought hard to defend herself as well as taking the fight to the Germans. She was also present in the Narvik/Harstad area. During one air raid A & B turrets on Aurora were hit with the loss of 10 men - Harry, badly injured in the chest due to shrapnel later recovered at Haslar Hospital Gosport.

I was fortunate enough to get to know Harry after he had volunteered his memories of war service. He very kindly and generously sent me copies of his training, official records and experiences in the Navy, including Norway: I will forever be thankful for his sharing of those quite intimate and personal recollections.

The motto of HMS Aurora is Post Tenebras Lux: 'After darkness, Light' - a motto befitting of a very proud man who served his county during its darkest period and who has now 'crossed the bar'.

Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Albert Harry Martin RN Empty Re: Albert Harry Martin RN

Post  AltforNorge Sat 25 Jun 2011 - 20:57

RIP
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down