Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1943 Assassination

3 posters

Go down

1943 Assassination Empty 1943 Assassination

Post  Bob Pearson Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 16:45

Does anyone know about a series of assassinations that apparently happened in 1943?

The details are thus: two Britons were assassinated - possibly in Sweden and by German agents. In turn, a Norwegian double cross agent was removed - most likely by SOE. This Norwegian apparently revealed some resistance connections in Denmark.

I may well have the details wrong as I was only given the briefest of outlines. However, if three men were assassinated then I am sure that there will be some info out there somewhere.

If anyone has names, dates or any information on this no matter how small, then I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

1943 Assassination Empty Re: 1943 Assassination

Post  TomJonas Fri 29 Jul 2011 - 10:46

I don't know if you read Swedish, but this is something I wrote in another forum. But this happened in 1944.

Den 29 juli 1944 avrättades en man på den Norska Legationen på Skeppargatan 32 i Stockholm. De lär ha varit en norsk SOE-agent, som var förrädare. Eftersom man inte ville ha någon inblandning av den svenska polisen, tog man hand om liket och grävde ner det i en myr.
Så här skriver Arnfinn Moland, som arbetar vid Hjemmefrontsnuseet i Oslo i sin bok om likvidationer:

"B19 trekker sin pistol och avfyrer skudd mot W., som så å si momentant faller död om, truffet i hjertet, Karene skyndet seg da å få fatt i en kasse hvori de la liket og kjörte kassen utenbys og grov den ner i en myr. M 20 som var med hele tiden bebreidet straks B 19 at han skjöt"

En som hjälpte till att skaffa undan liket var "Tante", eller Tikken, senare gift med Max Manus. Hon hade ett viktigt jobb på delegationen med att fördela updrag, debriefing av motståndsmän och skriva rapporter, vidare tog hon hand om dem och gick på restaurant, ofta Riche, med dem för att de skulle få fly undan eländet ett tag.

Vem var detta? Och varför??

TomJonas

Back to top Go down

1943 Assassination Empty Assassinations

Post  Bob Pearson Fri 29 Jul 2011 - 11:32

Dear Tom,

No problems with understanding Swedish, although some words elude me!

Many thanks for your reply - this is most helpful. The only downside is the year. However, I was only give the smallest of briefs so the year I have may well be incorrect. I will write to Arnfinn Moland in the first instance to see if he can shed further light on my query. I am working on the theory that two Britons and a Norwegian - possibly assassinated within a short time of each other - will be recorded somewhere...hopefully!

I didn't know that Tikken Manus was involved in such escapades, although I was aware that she worked for SOE.

Thanks again & kind regards

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  TomJonas Fri 29 Jul 2011 - 11:35

According to himself, the well-known photographer Christer Strömholm, took part in a murder of a collaborator in Stockholm during the war. The details around this have never been disclosed.
Strömholm lived a hectic life, for a while he was a nazi, but changed side. I think he took part in the war in Finland too. I think he was in Oslo some time and got a medal for his engagement in the nazis. But the murder should have been performed after he changed side.

TomJonas

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pearson Fri 29 Jul 2011 - 12:51

Hi Tom,

This is an interesting development, although I must admit I had not heard of Stromholm before - there is nothing in the TNA on him.

I have written to Arnfinn Moland seeking his advice so now await his reply. Hopefully, he will be able to guide me on the facts on whether the story is wild or has some semblance of truth about it.

According to my records B19 is Arthur Henry Pevik, whilst M20 is Odd Sørli. Both men have HS9 records that are open at the TNA, so when the opportunity arises I will take a peek at these although any hints to assassinations - if they were involved of course - would probably have been removed.

Thanks again for your input - it is very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  TomJonas Mon 29 Aug 2011 - 22:46

According to Tore Pryser in his Hitlers hemmelige agenter p. 297 was W. Walter Nielsen from Tröndelag, who was recruited by Referat VI C (Sipo Ausland) to try and map the political views at the Norwegian legation in Stockholm, especially if there were communists there.

TomJonas

Back to top Go down

1943 Assassination Empty Re: 1943 Assassination - Tikken

Post  Cutstone Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 0:17

I just read the book "Tikken Manus" by Kaja Frøysa. It's a very readable book, with a lot of new information about her own work in Stockholm, but also about her life with Max. She also tells about the assasination, that she witnessed in the norwegian legation in Skeppargatan 32. It happened July 29. 1944. Tikken also claims it was a SOE traitor, that posed a great threat for the norwegians in Stockholm. She also confirms that she took part in disposing of the body. Tikken even knows where it's buried, but will never tell anyone.....
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pearson Thu 8 Sep 2011 - 19:28

Hi Cutstone - thanks for that - a very interesting development.

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down