Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disappeared Lw unit in Kirkenes in 1943

2 posters

Go down

Disappeared Lw unit in Kirkenes in 1943 Empty Disappeared Lw unit in Kirkenes in 1943

Post  Holger Sat 21 Jun 2008 - 15:21

Hi!

I'm trying to help an elder lady to find out something about her grandfathers military career. He has never talked about his wartime during his lifetime. She has no fieldpost, no pictures, nothing. She made a request to the german Wast but the only information she got was the dogtag ID and a single unit record.

This unit was the Luftwaffen-Bau-Bataillon 20/XI which was based in Kirkenes in 11/1942 under the command of Luftwaffen-Bau-Regiment 4/XII.

The Luftwaffen-Bau-Bataillon 20/XI was disbanded in 06/1943, Luftwaffen-Bau-Regiment 4/XII was disbanded 1943 as well.
(If the fieldpost numbers are required, I'll post them)

In 1945 her grandfather was shortly held as POW by the brithish forces. But there is no information about the period between disbanding his unit and the end of war.

Do you have any suggestions on what might had happened to him or his unit in Kirkenes in 1943? Probably he had been moved to another unit - but which one(s)?

Holger

Holger

Back to top Go down

Disappeared Lw unit in Kirkenes in 1943 Empty Re: Disappeared Lw unit in Kirkenes in 1943

Post  Simon Sat 21 Jun 2008 - 19:07

The first thing that comes to mind is Luftwaffe Feld Regiment 503

Simon

Back to top Go down

Disappeared Lw unit in Kirkenes in 1943 Empty Re: Disappeared Lw unit in Kirkenes in 1943

Post  Holger Sun 22 Jun 2008 - 11:10

Hi Simon!

Yes, I read a discussion about LW Gebirgsjaeger at "feldgrau" where the LW feld regiment 503 was mentioned LINK

But if he was moved to this unit, the Wast usually should know that, shouldn't they?

Holger

Holger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down