Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need help to name British(?) SOE-soldiers(?) and place

2 posters

Go down

I need help to name British(?) SOE-soldiers(?) and place Empty I need help to name British(?) SOE-soldiers(?) and place

Post  Oddbjørn Thu 31 Dec 2015 - 1:19

I am studying my grand uncle Per Ratvik´s life during and after WWII. In his personal belongings of scripts, photos, books, letters etc I found a picture of him saluting what seems to be a memorial tombstone. I have asked the helpful people of the Norway´s Resistance Museum/Hjemmefrontmuseet and Ragnar Ulstein, and they only knew the Norwegians Knut Haukelid, Birger Strømsheim, Hans Storhaug and Per Ratvik.  The rest might be British, and the place might be in Britain. Can anybody help me?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkg6ubhj2uoatrl/Per%20Ratvik%20med%20fleire%20gjer%20honn%C3%B8r%20ved%20minnestein_2.jpg?dl=0

Oddbjørn

Back to top Go down

I need help to name British(?) SOE-soldiers(?) and place Empty SOE Soldiers - Per Ratvik

Post  Bob Pearson Tue 19 Jan 2016 - 20:36

Hi Oddbjørn,

I looked at the image and all, with possibly the exception of the officer wearing a forage cap, appear to be Norwegian. The British army salute is very different to the 'Navy' type salute. The hat badges also appear to be Norwegian. I have your uncle's file and will gladly provide you with a copy if you don't already have it.

Best wishes,

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

I need help to name British(?) SOE-soldiers(?) and place Empty Per Ratvik article

Post  Oddbjørn Tue 19 Jan 2016 - 22:12

Thanks a lot!

What is the difference in the salutes? If you mean the SOE file from National Archive, I already got it. Thanks for the offer. I have written an article about Per Ratvik in a regional history book for Sunnmøre. It is in Norwegian, might it still be interesting to look at?

Oddbjørn

Oddbjørn

Back to top Go down

I need help to name British(?) SOE-soldiers(?) and place Empty Per Ratvik

Post  Bob Pearson Tue 19 Jan 2016 - 22:44

Hi Oddbjørn,

The British Army salute is with the flat of the hand facing outwards - when it is placed over the right eye. The naval salute is with the flat of the hand facing downwards.

Good news that you have Per's file. There is also another Ratvik file - Harald Peter Ratvik, but only 5 pages.

Are you on Facebook? If so, there are some interesting sites for Norway during WW2. They might be able to answer your query.

Mvh

Bob

Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

I need help to name British(?) SOE-soldiers(?) and place Empty Re: I need help to name British(?) SOE-soldiers(?) and place

Post  Oddbjørn Tue 19 Jan 2016 - 22:49

Thanks, Bob!

Yes, I´ve read it. They were second cousins, and grew up in a few hundred yards from each other (same place I grew up).
Can you recommend some good sites on the theme on Facebook?

Oddbjørn

Oddbjørn

Back to top Go down

I need help to name British(?) SOE-soldiers(?) and place Empty Re: I need help to name British(?) SOE-soldiers(?) and place

Post  Bob Pearson Tue 19 Jan 2016 - 23:07

Hi Oddbjørn,

try these:

Norsk Militærhistorisk Forening

Norge i krig 1940 - 1945

Norsk Krigshistorisk Forening.

Mvh

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down