Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Norwegian gold bullion transport April/May 1940

2 posters

Go down

Norwegian gold bullion transport April/May 1940 Empty Norwegian gold bullion transport April/May 1940

Post  Bob Pearson Sat 8 Nov 2008 - 22:48

I am hoping that someone will be able to assist me with the following:

Currently, I am searching for information on the following vessels, all of which were involved with the gold transport:

M-27-BU – ‘Heimdal 2’.
Skipper: – Hans M Inderhaug
Crew: – Hans Nausthaug, Sigurd Tornes & Sivert Gjerde

M-76-BU – 'Bard 2’
Skipper: – Harald Tungehaug
Crew: – Hagbart Tungehaug, Olaf Trondsen & Lars Sommernes

M-33-BU – 'Svanen’
Skipper: – Ingvald Sunde
Crew – Konrad Sunde (owner) & Margido Bergseth

The above boats were all registered from the town of Bud. The following two boats, however, were registered from the community of Hustad.

M-40-HU – ‘Leif’
Skipper & owner: – Emil H Skotheim
Crew: – Emil Hjelseth

M-58-HU – 'Gudrum’
Skipper: – Alfred Skotheim
Crew: – Sivert Sandblåst & Konrad Jørgensen

ST-97-SF: –‘Roald’
Skipper: – Alf Larsen

Large Fishing Vessels:

ST-56-NF: – 'Alvhild II’
Skipper: – Karl Reppe
Engineers: – Kåre Pettersen and Arne Lorentsen
Deck hand: – Harald Bringedal.

ST-82-NF: – 'Stølvåg’
Skipper: – Esten Larsen
Crew – Hans and Karl Larsen (sons)

Whilst I have the basic story of their involvement I would like to know more, particularly the work of the'Stølvåg’, which was engaged in government work after she had transferred her bullion to the Alvhild. I am also interested to know what happened to the vessels afterwards and the whereabouts of the skippers and crews - for example, were they punished by the Germans for their involvement. Any information, no matter how small, is always welcome. Any information put forward will be formally recognised and recorded, as will all sources (with accompanied permission of the individual).

Finally, I am interested in any information on the gold transport even if it would appear to be of little insignifigance, particularly; an incident at Romsdalhorn Station or close to it (dates of interest are 19-24th April). The reason why Admiral Diesen was in Lillehammer. The whereabouts of Kaptein Johan Rognes - one of Gen Ruge's 'Travelling Officers' (dates of interest are 19th-30th April) and names of ordinary Norwegian soldiers that left Norway for the UK onboard HMS Glasgow (Glasgow's passenger list only details officers and VIPs).

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Norwegian gold bullion transport April/May 1940 Empty Norwegian gold bullion transport April/May 1940 - ST-56-NF

Post  ST-56-NF Wed 20 Jan 2010 - 1:22

You may find some helpful information here:

http://www.historier.no/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=506&sobi2Id=4906&Itemid=305

and in the book "Gulltransporten, by Asbjørn Øksendal (Aschehaug 1974)

Karl Reppe, the owner and skipper of "Alfhild II" (ST-56-NF) was my great grandfather. He was born 14.03.1882 and died 21.08.1948. He was married to Alfhild Reppe (which explains the name of the boat). Karl and Alfhild Reppe had 16 children. Karl K. was the oldest, my grandmother Astrid (born 1910) was number 2, Hans Petter number 3.

It seems like Bob Pearson have mixed up the crew on the boats "Alfhild" and "Sløvåg"

The crew on "Alfhild" was skipper Karl Reppe and his two oldest sons – Karl K. Reppe and Hans Petter Reppe.

The crew on "Sløvåg" was skiper Esten Larsen (not "Eystein"), Kåre Pettersen, Arne Lorentsen and Harald Bringedal.

The story of the gold transport was broadcast during the war. Fredrik Hasund told the story on radio (the Norwegian government’s broadcasting station in Boston) in december 1940, and Nordahl Grieg told the story in his book on the war. But the identity of the persons involved was not revealed until May 1945, nor details that help identify them. As the Germans didn't know the details of the transport, they could not arrest or punish the involved fishermen.

"Sløvåg" was contracted for secret operations while it was in Tromsø. The leader of these operations was Hans William Andersen. Their first assignment was to deliver confidential documents and maps from the general staff i Tromsø to military authorities in Bodø, Harstad and Trondheim. From Trondheim they were to return to Tromsø and report on observations.

Nordahl Grieg wrote the poem "17. mai 1940" on board the "Alfhild", and read it for the first time to Karl, Karl K. and Hans P. Reppe on May 16th. On may 17th it was broacast on the radio (Tromsø Radio). Today this is one of the the most celebrated patriotic poems of Norway.

Esten Larsen received The King's Medal of Merit in gold in 1962. By then Karl Reppe had been dead for 14 years, but he would probablyy have received this decoration too, had he still been alive. Instead, his two sons Karl K. and Hans Petter received The King's Medal of Merit in silver (1962).

Items from "Alfhild" and a mdel of the boat were displayed in the museum "Nordenfjeldske hjemmefrontmuseum" in Trondheim, but was lost during a fire on August 18th 1983.
ST-56-NF
ST-56-NF

Back to top Go down

Norwegian gold bullion transport April/May 1940 Empty Anders William Andersen (not hans William)

Post  ST-56-NF Wed 20 Jan 2010 - 1:36

I'm sorry I got the name of the leader of the Sløvåg operatins i May 1940 wrong. His name was Anders William Andersen, (not Hans William). I suppose (but van't be sure) that he is the same as the resistance man described in the link below. In that case he was born 28.11.1898, arrested by the nazis in 1942, died in Falkensee, Germany 22.04.1943.

http://www.specialforcesroh.com/roll-15010.html
ST-56-NF
ST-56-NF

Back to top Go down

Norwegian gold bullion transport April/May 1940 Empty One more slip of mine

Post  ST-56-NF Wed 20 Jan 2010 - 2:30

"Sløvåg" was contracted for secret operations while it was in Tromsø. The leader of these operations was Anders William Andersen. Their first assignment was to deliver confidential documents and maps from the general staff i Tromsø to military authorities in Bodø, Narvik (not Harstad) and Trondheim. From Trondheim they were to return to Tromsø and report on observations.
ST-56-NF
ST-56-NF

Back to top Go down

Norwegian gold bullion transport April/May 1940 Empty Norwegian gold bullion fishing vessels

Post  Bob Pearson Wed 20 Jan 2010 - 17:28

Thanks to ST-56-NF for his reply.

As pointed out I have the listing wrong for "Alfhild" and "Sløvåg". I can now correct and add to the listings.

many thanks,

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Norwegian gold bullion transport April/May 1940 Empty Re: Norwegian gold bullion transport April/May 1940

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down