Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940

+7
WOE
Plum
edvardbjorge
Lars G
Joakim
Pär Westin
AltforNorge
11 posters

Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940

Post  Bob Pearson Thu 5 Jun 2008 - 11:03

I am currently looking into activities of the men listed below. I am particularly interested in their whereabouts during the invasion and up to the capitulation. Interestingly, few of the men have records at the national Archives. The names are associated with Section D - the organisation prior to SOE and Operation Barbara - Munthe and Rognes' project. Where known I have given date and place of birth.

The names are:
Arne Fredriksen - 18-4-1917 - Oslo
Osmark Froiland - 14-3-1922 - Skoger
Thorlief Andersen - 21-12-1917 - Sarpsborg
Armand Trønnes - 16-5-1921 - Sarpsborg
Holger Westin - 24-2-1918 - Engerdalen (Swedish?)
Frans Johan Hellstrøm - 12-12-1915 - Drevsjø
Gudmund Nygård - 5-12-1906 - Bergen
Henning Werner Olsen - 1-5-1913 - Bergen
Sverre Thorsen
Leif Olsen
? Storemark
Sigfried Pettersen
Karsten Wang
Karl Kronberg - died 26th June 1940 or 41 - believed to be Swedish
Simon Field Sinclair
Henry Walle
Olav Martin Leirvvaag
Otto Aksdal
Asbjorn or Ashbjorn Kristiansen
Rangvald Torgersen

Nygaard and Kronberg have SOE files which are open, but provide few if any clues.
Thorlief Andersen and Otto Aksdal's files are still closed.

If anyone has information on the above then I would be very pleased to hear from them

Mvh

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty I challenge YOU!

Post  AltforNorge Fri 6 Jun 2008 - 21:18

Alas, I have nothing to contribute to Bob's researth. Instead I challenge all members of NUAV. Pleas give his request priority.
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940

Post  Bob Pearson Fri 6 Jun 2008 - 22:33

Please note that I have mis-spelt Simon Sinclair-Fjeld. I previously wrote Field using an 'i' instead of a 'j' - that's the trouble with reading English documents, the spelling gets changed somewhat.

Thanks to 'Alt For Norge' for the challenge

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pearson Sat 7 Jun 2008 - 14:23

An update to one of the names:

I have been informed that Mr Storemok's christian name is Mons.

I am aware there is a strong connection between the names listed and the following characters:

Lt James Chaworth-Musters RNVR
Major Malcolm Munthe
Kaptein John Rognes

Karsten Wang, Simon Sinclair Fjeld died early on in 1941. Karl Kronberg took his own life in June 1940. If anyone has a picture of Kronberg then please feel free to contact me. It would be very much appreciated.

What appears to be unknown at present is the actions and locations of these men between April 9th & June 7th. Any informaton, no matter how small or seemingly irrelevant would be welcome.

Kind regards

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Section D & SOE men

Post  Bob Pearson Sat 14 Jun 2008 - 17:44

A Norwegian friend has kindly passed on the following information that may help jog someone's memory about the men or the operations. Please find below an update:

Mons Storemark from Fedje was the captain of a little boat ( I belive the boat was the Bergen re-registered vessel, 'Hospiz') that brought a group of saboteurs to Bjølvefossen elektrokjemiske fabrikk in Ålvik. This was the first sabotage raid in Norway ( 16.06.40 ).

Karsten Wang- Was exectued by the Germans on the 22 of october 1941 after illegal activity in the Bergen area.

Armand Trønnes- Attended a raid against Arendal Smelteverk on the 21 of november 1943 together with Edvard Tallaksen and Birger Rasmussen. It was a sucess and Trønnes became a sabotage instructor shortly after.

If anyone can add to the above about the raid on the Ålvik power station or know more about the men involved then I would be very pleased to hear from them.

Thanks again to 'Alt For Norge' for the challenge and to those who have assisted to date.

Hilsen,

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty About Holger Westin

Post  Pär Westin Fri 15 Aug 2008 - 13:30

Hello Bob,
My name is Pär Westin and Holger Westin is my father. It is correct that he is Swedish, he became an Norwegian citizen to be able to participate in the Norwegien resitance. Unfortunally he died in 1991 so he's not around to tell the story.
I do have an old interview tape (VHS) from 1980 with my father and Hellström, who also is Swedish, telling about an operation, I believe it was Barbarossa.

I have never done any research on this subject but the reason I found this forum was that earlier today a person (total stranger) called me and said that he was doing research about his onkel, and came across my fathers name.
My teenage daughter then found this link, I do believe that he probably knows more so I e-mailed him this link also, maybe he'll contact you.

Pär Westin

Pär Westin

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Holger Westin

Post  Pär Westin Fri 15 Aug 2008 - 13:33

Sorry, operation Barbara of course...

Pär Westin

Pär Westin

Back to top Go down

Post  Joakim Fri 15 Aug 2008 - 14:31

Holger Westin arrived to the shetland island 1941 ( vessel unknown ) after doing reconnosaince for the Barbara
group. He did eight trips with the shetland bus and was formally registered with the Norwegian section of SOE ( Naval Unit ) 1944. When the Barbara group was arrested in Sweden after the mission ( which was partially abandoned ) Westin was not a member of the demolition party and seemed to have stayed in shetland to become a member of the shetland Bus, I think he sailed some of the trips with skipper Andreas Närö. In Stockholm city archive there is a case (secret case 1941:5 Millar case ) which describes the Barbara operation in detail, westin is only mentioned as provider of a cabin for training. In the swedish intelligence papers about the Munthe organisation the organisation chart has Westin. Probably he played a bigger role but for some reason slipped away.

p.s.
I think that Armand Trönnas soe file is interesting concerning these operations and connction with names in early soe or D section

Joakim

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Section D/SOE men

Post  Bob Pearson Fri 15 Aug 2008 - 22:02

Many thanks to Pär & Joakim for their most informative replies. I will be contacting you off-forum very shortly.

Thanks again,

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Section D/SOE men. Ref Paar Westin & Joakim

Post  Bob Pearson Tue 19 Aug 2008 - 17:20

Dear Paal & Joakim,

I have tried to make contact via the 'Private Message' system, but think my messages didn't get through.

Please could you contact me at:

bakerstreetrebel@yahoo.co.uk

I have some important information for you.

Mvh

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutstone Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 2:31

Hi Pär, if you check out the following link you will find the story about the ship M/T South Africa, where it looks like you father worked as Ordinary Seaman.
http://www.warsailors.com/singleships/southafrica.html
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Mons Storemark

Post  Cutstone Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 2:41

Bob
Here you will at least find some background info...
M/B Traust to England
http://www.warsailors.com/shetlandbus/boatst.html

10. mai 1940
M/B Wailet (V2S), skippered by Mons Storemark arrived Shetland with 5 refugees and the British manager of the convoy office in Bergen.
http://shetlopedia.com/1940

M/B Wailet (V 2 S)
Left Fedje on May 9-1940 with 6 people, including the British manager of the convoy office in Bergen, for whom the voyage was organized.
Others on board were:
Skipper Mons Storemark, Kristian Røre, Ditlef Mongstad, Johannes Daae Riisnes, Kåre Hosteland.
http://www.warsailors.com/shetlandbus/boatsw.html

A Mons Storemark was mayor in Fedje from 01.07 - 31.12.1947.
http://www.fedje.kommune.no/artikkel.aspx?MId1=1&MId2=6&AId=131&Back=1
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pearson Mon 15 Sep 2008 - 20:49

Many thanks 'Cutstone' for your reply - very helpful and very useful. It is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty New books

Post  Lars G Sun 14 Dec 2008 - 16:17

Hello

As you may know, the Ragnar Ulstein books (3) about the Norwegian intelligence activity during WW2 came in new edition few weeks ago.

Maybe you'll find things of interrest there?

Lars G,
Tyholt

Lars G

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pearson Sun 14 Dec 2008 - 23:06

Hei Lars

Mange takk for informasjon. Jeg vil skaffe boken.

Takk igjen

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Picture of Armand Trønnes

Post  edvardbjorge Sun 20 Jun 2010 - 22:45

Hi ! Anyone who has a picture of Armand Trønnes?

edvardbjorge

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Re: Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940

Post  Plum Mon 21 Jun 2010 - 23:12

http://www.aaks.no/Eydehavnsiten/sabotasje/tronnes1.JPG Not the best pictures of him, though. I have one in a book ("Oslogjengen") where he is younger and more visible. If you like, I can scan it in for you.

Plum

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Henning Werner Olsen

Post  WOE Tue 15 Nov 2011 - 4:20

Henning Werner Olsen born 1.5.1913. Arrested 26.9.1941 near Rekkøy in Flatanger, North-Trøndelag, Mid-Norway, as one of the crew of VITA, skipper Ingvald "Old Joe" Johansen. Prisoner Vollan, Falstad, Grini, Sachsenhausen. A Henning Olsen is mentioned as one of the men in operation BARBARA, but it´s not verified if this is Henning Werner Olsen. Litterature: Howarth, David. 1952. Nordsjøbussen. Cappelen. / Ottosen, Kristian (red.). 2004. Nordmenn i fangenskap 1940-1945. Universitetsforlaget. 2nd edition. / Johansson, Anders. 2011. De glemte agentene. Pax.

Last edited by WOE on Mon 28 Nov 2011 - 3:23; edited 2 times in total
WOE
WOE

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Re: Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940

Post  TomJonas Wed 16 Nov 2011 - 15:30

One more Norwegian.
Helmer Bonnevier.
But he was more connected to Section D in Sweden and the group of Alan Rickman, who planned to blow up cranes loading iron ore in Oxeloesund.

TomJonas

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Infomation about Per Ratvik

Post  paulw Fri 25 Nov 2011 - 0:47

Hi All
I am looking for new infomation about Per Ratvik and anyone who has an interest in his work during WWII.
Paul W

paulw

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Re. Rev. Olav "Gunpowder Parson" Leirvaag

Post  Cutstone Sat 26 Nov 2011 - 12:35

Surprisingly I found some exciting information in a anonymous file I copied at Kew last time Bob. The padre Leirvaag was quite a cool dude, who loved explosives. Check mail!
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Section 'D' & Norwegian SOE names circa 1940 Empty Padre

Post  Bob Pearson Sun 27 Nov 2011 - 14:06

Hi Cutstone,

many thanks - will check mail. Good news for you as well on ACOS

Mvh

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down