Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Narvik - April 1940

3 posters

Go down

Narvik - April 1940 Empty Narvik - April 1940

Post  Bob Pearson Sun 19 Feb 2012 - 13:59

Whilst researching the evacuation of Narvik, I came across the following statement issued by Captain D.M.L. GORDON-WATSON, MC. Intelligence Officer, PAWN (Irish Guards).

'A Norwegian named KARE HUNSTAD accompanies this letter. He lives near VASVIK PIER. He escaped from NARVIK by means of the pass attached, which was produced for him by the help of a Norwegian Officer in plain clothes. He escaped by boat from NARVIK across BEIS FJORD thence by ski, until he got in touch with H.M.S. FALCONER, who passed him on to PAWN. He left NARVIK on April 23rd at 1500 hours. This young man had been dispatched to find the Allies by Theodor Broch, Mayor of Norway. In his book, 'The Mountains Wait', he names him as Oscar.'

I have checked Våre Falne and can find no person listed as being lost so i assume that he probably survived the war, but does anyone know if the spelling of Kare Hunstad is correct?

Many thanks in advance

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Narvik - April 1940 Empty Re: Narvik - April 1940

Post  Bjørn Sun 19 Feb 2012 - 14:53

Hello!
It is probably "Kåre Hunstad". Do you by any chance know when he was born?

B

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Narvik - April 1940 Empty Narvik

Post  Bob Pearson Sun 19 Feb 2012 - 15:21

Hei Bjorn,

many thanks for the reply. I guessed the spelling was incorrect. There was a quite a lot of corrupted spelling during the war, particularly with Norwegian names.

No, there's no birthdate given, but i get the impression that he's a teenager or perhaps early twenties. In Broch's book he states that the next time he heard 'from him (after he had returned from the Allies) he was serving aboard a Norwegian freighter off Canada'. From what I can gather, Broch had sent a message to the Allies giving useful intelligence after 'Oscar' had approached him saying that he had been watching the Germans and wanted to do something positive.

The destroyer was HMS Faulknor (H62) and not as Capt Gordon-Watson wrote, although both names sound the same. The skipper was Captain Antony Fane de Salis DSO, RN.

Another query of that time: Consul Gibbs and Captain Torrance (MIR) were accompanied by a Commander Vavasour when they escaped from Narvik to a small hut up in the mountains. I have found a reference to a Geoffrey (later Sir) Vavasour who was in Norway, but his rank is given as Lieutenent for the time. This officer played 1st class cricket and was well known in the cricket world. Anything on the name Vavasour would be useful.

Cheers

Bob

Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Sun 19 Feb 2012 - 23:40

check your mail, Bob
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Tue 21 Feb 2012 - 3:30

Hello!
Difficult to be sure, but there was a Kåre Martin Hunstad, b. 14.03.1920, d. 31.05.1996.

B

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Narvik - April 1940 Empty Narvik

Post  Bob Pearson Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 1:02

Hi Bjorn,

Many thanks and much appreciated. Will look in to it further.

Mvh

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 23:55

Check mail
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down