Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Narvik

4 posters

Go down

Narvik Empty Narvik

Post  AltforNorge Thu 26 Aug 2010 - 21:45

Historien om spionen er en sak, men dette "at tyskerne til slutt erobret Narvik" viser slett grunnkunnskap fra journalistens side:

http://www.abcnyheter.no/nyheter/politikk/100826/%E2%80%93-russisk-ballerina-avslorte-allierte-planer-i-norge
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Narvik Empty Re: Narvik

Post  odybvig Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 13:28

Historien om spionen er en sak, men dette "at tyskerne til slutt erobret Narvik" viser slett grunnkunnskap fra journalistens side:

Javel..... Hvem var det som sto igjen og heiste flagget i Narvik da ?

Mvh
Olve

odybvig

http://www.luftwaffe.no

Back to top Go down

Narvik Empty Marina Lee - the Narvik Spy? Who were the spies?

Post  Bob Pearson Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 14:29

The file on Marina Lee is available as a free download from The National Archives.

How this lady got direct access to British plans is not yet known...indeed, if she ever did, but for me what would be a fantastic topic to discuss would be the spies, British and German, that were in Norway prior to and during the invasion. I'll start the ball rolling by asking if there was a spy at Romsdalhorn railway station (or close to the station) who was equipped with a short wave radio to converse with overhead German aircraft? I emphasise the word 'overhead' as Romsdalhorn is a very mountainous region.

Secondly, was there a German spy in Molde or could it have possibily been the same character who was at Romsdalhorn?

I have a very accurate eye witness report to the spy at Romsdalhorn, indeed the man was arrested, but what happened to him and was he innocent in a time of massive upheaval or was guilty? Lots to ponder over.

Finally, British & German spies were prevalent in Norway prior to the invasion. It would be a very interesting topic to discuss - so it's over the the forum for debate.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Fri 3 Sep 2010 - 20:58

Hei!
Historien om Goubonina er jo relativt kjent. Hun er bl.a beskrevet godt i Prysers eminente "Kvinner i hemmelige tjenester" fra 2007, samt "Hitlers hemmelige agenter" fra 2001.

Og, som Olve påpeker, tyskerne erobret jo tilslutt Narvik som kjent.

B.

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Narvik Empty Spies in Norway!

Post  Bob Pearson Fri 3 Sep 2010 - 21:14

Hei Bjorn,

Yes, Prof Tore Pryser is certainly the main man for information on espionage. I don't as yet have the books, but will see if I can purchase them.

What I cannot understand is why the British echelon would allow an unattached and previously unknown woman, and certainly foreign, so close to any plans. It doesn't add up. Any ideas?

Mvh

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Fri 3 Sep 2010 - 21:20

Innser at det nok på en måte er hårkløveri fra min side når jeg reagerer på "til slutt erobret Narvik"

Dette hensyntatt, syntes jeg at journalisten, i lys av 6. divisjons kamp, burde ha skrevet "til slutt kunne marsjere inn igjen i Narvik"

9. april erobret tyskerne Narvik, de ble kastet ut og i juni ville jeg ha brukt ordnene "marsjere inn igjen i Narvik"
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Sat 4 Sep 2010 - 15:55

Hello Bob,

about Goubonina: in april 40 maj. Benecke had 7 agents in Norway: the austrian Emmerich Neumayer, Lyder Ramstad, the Germans Alois Liegel and Werner Birkholz were also among them together with the mentioned Goubonina. She was in close contact with the famous Alexandra Kollontai in Sweden in may 40.

She traveled to Narvik, in fact several times, under the cover of being a volunteering nurse. It is most possible that the Soviet intelligence representented by Kollontai and others helped her in establishing contact with the Norwegian legation in Sweden, which was her main base. Her Narvik trips were very short - she was at Bjørnfjell 14th May, but already back in Stockholm 16th May. Her second trip was 24th May, returning to Stockholm 26th May.

I have no sources indicating that she worked especially close against the British, but there was an ordered attempt against British staff officers in Stockholm. Her main source was anyway things she heard in the Norwegian Legation. These informations were important, as Dietl recieved all news she could get about the Norwegian and Allied plans about Narvik.

In the Autumn of 1940, she was ordered to Spain, after a failed Abwehr action against Quisling.

B

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pearson Sat 4 Sep 2010 - 16:37

Hi Bjorn,

Thanks for the posting as this puts the story in a different light compared to what has been written in the newspapers (almost as if she had turned up in a cocktail dress drinking Martinis and pouring over maps on a table). If you click on to the National Archives you can download the Marina Lee file free of charge. It makes for very interesting reading and raises quite a few questions - although answers are not so forthcoming.

A volunteer nurse would be a very useful cover and be an ideal way of getting close to the British, if indeed she ever got that close, but perhaps infiltrating lower ranking officers to glean snippets of information or to judge the mood of the forces would be more realistic. It's all fascinating history

By chance, do you happen to know the name of the Norwegian collaborator who assisted the Germans in the hunt for the state gold in the Lillehammer & Molde area? I know this chap existed, but I never out found his real name. This is not the same collaborator who was at Romsdalhorn, but of course may well have been part of the same collaborator/spy ring.

Cheers

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Sat 4 Sep 2010 - 20:13

Hello Bob!

I am not sure who that collaborator could have been. Christian Preuthun, a enigneer and pilot b. 1881 was sent by Benecke to check the situation at Elverum, Gjøvik and Lillehammer. But his mission mostly was to check the aount of British soldiers. There were a few other agents, but they were in Telemark at the time. I have not heard any connection between Preuthun and the gold, but of course it could have been him.

B

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pearson Sat 4 Sep 2010 - 20:53

Hi Bjorn,

Thanks for the posting. By chance, do you happen to know if Christian Preuthun survived the war?

The witness report to the collaborator states that this Norwegian was blonde (not a helpful decription, I know) and moved from Lillehammer to Molde whilst trying to search for the gold - but it had long gone. The witness stated that the Norwegian was well versed in information on the gold and knew about the train (he even knew the serial number) and certain folk who had assisted, although there was no conclusive proof that he could find about those involved. I asked Prof Pryser a while back, but even he didn't know who the chap could have been.

Thanks again for your help.

Mvh

Bob

Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 14:22

Hello!
Yes, he survived the war and was on trial in 1945.

B.

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Narvik Empty Narvik

Post  Bob Pearson Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 21:49

I checked the National Archives, but unfortunately there appears to be no record of that name. It could be there are records somewhere, but have yet to be released. Maybe once the 100 year date has passed something will be released.

Cheers

Bob

Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Fri 10 Sep 2010 - 2:51

Hello!
Chistian Preuthun was actually a rather well known pilot before the war (at least in his time). He lived 1891-1982, and was formerly known as "Hellesen", but did change his last name to Preuthun.

B.

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down