Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uhlig, Dombas ans Narvik. Anyone got more details re him?

3 posters

Go down

Uhlig, Dombas ans Narvik. Anyone got more details re him? Empty Uhlig, Dombas ans Narvik. Anyone got more details re him?

Post  Black Hornet Sat 16 Apr 2011 - 7:16

Following the Airborne action on the 14 April 1940 at Dombas in Central Norway, he found himself in Norwegian captivity for around three weeks with all other survivors of action. On the 14 May 1940, Uhlig and his Platoon jumped during the First Battle of Narvik and thereafter he was decorated with the Iron Cross Second Class and the Narvik Shield.
After the successful conclusion of the Norwegian Campaign, Uhlig transferred to Flying Duties as a navigator and between 1941 and 1943 took part in over 170 Operations, including the landings at Crete, for which he was awarded the"Kreta" Cuffband. During this period Uhlig also qualified for the Flight Clasp in Gold and the Iron Cross First Class.
In June 1944, as the invasion of Normandy progressed, Alexander Uhlig was once again in action with a Parachute Unit. With the rank of Oberfeldwebel, he commanded the 16. /Fallschirmjager Regiment 6. In Uhlig's sector of the Front, Fallschirmjager Regiment 6 was opposed by the US 90 Infantry Division. Heavy attacks on the Regimental Flanks saw Uhlig ordered to lead a small combat group of 30 of the Fallschirmjager on a mission to attempt to stabilize the Regiment's position. Uhlig's group too on and defeated an entire US Battalion, taking over 230 prisoners, including the Battalion commander and eleven other officers. this was to be one of the notable successes for the Germans in that sector of the front. In recognition of his tremendous achievement Alexander Uhlig was awarded the Knight's Cross on the 29 October 1944.
Uhlig was captured shortly afterwards and having spent some time in French and US prisoner of war camps, found himself in Camp 23 in Sudbury, Burton-on-Trent, England. He was considered by the authorities to be a potential escapee and was closely watched. On the 22 April 1947, however, Uhlig did escape and made his way to Hull where he was able to stow away on a ship bound for Cuxhaven. His escape was initially covered up by the ruse of having a dummy take his place during Roll Call. By the time his escape was discovered 3 days later Uhlig had already reached Germany. He then made his way through the less-strictly controlled US Zone and managed to cross the Russian Lines undetected. By the 28 April, he was home in Leipzig.
Allied records show that Uhlig was recaptured on the 31 July 1947, but this was not true. He was never retaken. So, despite claims to the contrary, at least one German prisoner of war did escape from a British Camp and succeeded in making his way home, albeit after the end of hostilities. [citation needed

http://www.wikiwak.com/wak/Alexander_Uhlig

Black Hornet

Back to top Go down

Uhlig, Dombas ans Narvik. Anyone got more details re him? Empty Re: Uhlig, Dombas ans Narvik. Anyone got more details re him?

Post  Bjørn Fri 22 Apr 2011 - 15:50

ello!
Quite a lot info on him, f x http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Uhlig

B

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Uhlig, Dombas ans Narvik. Anyone got more details re him? Empty Re: Uhlig, Dombas ans Narvik. Anyone got more details re him?

Post  Black Hornet Fri 22 Apr 2011 - 17:40

Quite a career. I suppose there are Japanese with similiar long war careers. They covered a large amount of terrain as Germans did. Manchuria, China, Burma, Alaska, & all over pacific. Some interesting stories I'm sure.

Black Hornet

Back to top Go down

Uhlig, Dombas ans Narvik. Anyone got more details re him? Empty A.Uhlig

Post  krhole Tue 10 May 2011 - 20:58

I boken" Et regiment i krig og fred. IR 11, 1911-1995" er det en fyldig beskrivelse av A Uhlig, hans oppvekst og militære tjeneste samt sivile karriere etter krigen. Uhlig var bærer av Ridderkorset, dette fikk han som sjef for en kampgruppe på 30 fallskjermjegere som nedkjempet en amerikansk bataljon i Normandie.
A Uhlig besøkte ved flere anledninger kampstedene på Lora og Dombås der 56 av hans kamerater ble drept og såret i 1940.

krhole

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down