Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Statue of Max Manus

4 posters

Go down

Statue of Max Manus Empty Statue of Max Manus

Post  AltforNorge Wed 18 May 2011 - 21:57

AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Statue of Max Manus Empty Re. Statue of Max Manus

Post  Cutstone Sat 28 May 2011 - 20:47

I now have an invitation and even a seat in the tent in the 7th. Really looking foreward to this. Will write a few words and post pictures here afterwards. bounce
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Statue of Max Manus Empty Max Manus

Post  Bob Pearson Sun 29 May 2011 - 14:00

Looking forward to the report. Unfortunately, I am unable to attend due to school/work committments, but I will certainly be there in spirit.

It is good to see that Max Manus will be formally recognised for his wartime endeavours; truly an amazing man. I wish the day well.

Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Statue of Max Manus Empty Re: Statue of Max Manus

Post  AltforNorge Tue 31 May 2011 - 22:59

I am at a conference in Oslo, June 6th and 7th. Have booked a late plane back. Hope I will be able to attend this event.
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pearson Mon 6 Jun 2011 - 22:16

Tomorrow, Norway will honour Max Manus - the wartime resistance fighter and SOE soldier. He is without doubt a very special and unique man both to Norway and Britain. I Hope the day goes well for all concerned.

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutstone Tue 7 Jun 2011 - 1:03

Looks like rain, but who cares. It'll be great no matter what!
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pearson Tue 7 Jun 2011 - 16:06

Please find below a link for the unveiling ceremony of the Max Manus statue:

http://www.aftenposten.no/kul_und/article4141836.ece

Mvh

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  odybvig Wed 8 Jun 2011 - 2:49

Hmmmmm, the statues face looks like he is 70 years old
Is it supposed to be an old man in a british uniform ?

I dont get it

Olve

odybvig

http://www.luftwaffe.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pearson Wed 8 Jun 2011 - 17:13

Five years of fighting the Russians and the Germans is enough to make anyone look old Very Happy
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Thu 9 Jun 2011 - 0:00

It was a great statue, but it is right. I met/saw Manus several times in the 1960es. He had a cabin at Nystuen, some miles from my home town. He resembeled more that Manus, than the manus you see on pictures from 40-45. But - A great statue bounce
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Statue of Max Manus Empty Re. Statue of Max Manus

Post  Cutstone Thu 9 Jun 2011 - 2:16

My flight to Oslo was early (as always when you travel with SAS) so I had a cup at a coffeshop close to Akershus. After the first cup of coffe the rain started to pour down, so I had one more. Ohhh this sounds a bit like Chris Christoffersen, only he had beer for breaksfast….and dessert.
Statue of Max Manus 2011-j10I had a long coat, but no umbrella, but what the hell. Still it was a wet walk to Akershus, where I first went to the wrong location before, while sliding on wet and slippery cobble stones, I found my way to the eastern part of Akershus festning.
There I met Bob’s contact Lene Pedersen. I’ve had the impression that she was an old grey mouse, or maybe that’s what he want’s his wife to think Wink This blond beauty, dresser in a 1940’s outfit, guided me to the chair where I was supposed to sit, but an old veteran had found it comfortable so I voluntaired to stand.
Statue of Max Manus 2011-j11
That seat was way back, now I found a place up front. I thought it strange that no one else had taken this spot, that is untill my nearest neighbour, the 7 feet tall speakers sparked to life. The volume was tuned so the veteran that stole my chair, all the way in the back, could hear everything loud and clear.
Statue of Max Manus Salvgu10
By the tender voices of Sølvguttene choir (The silver boys) at precisely 11AM the seremony started. The leader of Oslos Forsvarsforening opened the whole thing, before the mayor of Oslo, Fabian Stang, also said a few words.
Statue of Max Manus Speake10
Then it was Gunnar Kjakan Sønsteby’s turn. When he got the mike, he said he was really glad that he now had the chance to say a few words about his good friend Max Manus. He was glad he had a manuscript, otherwise we would all have to be there and listen to him for days. Everyone laughed politely.
After the speach the sporty 93 year old moved over to the staue. With a pull, helped by the Samlerhuset girls he unveiled a very realistic and cool looking statue.
Statue of Max Manus 2011-j12
Max is standing, as he looked in 1945, with a Kongsberg Colt in hist holster and a Stengun in his hands.
Now it was Arnfinn Molands turn. He spoke a litle about Manus and his adventures, before it was time for Svend Aavitsland, the CO of Samlerhuset, that had sponsored the statue. He had by far the best and most rehearsed speach. He never once had to look at his manuscript.
When the speaches finally were over, total chaos broke out. I just held my ground and watched the spectacle.
Statue of Max Manus 2011-j14
After a while the line for autograph-hunting kids started to go below the 20 kids mark, so I started to walk on over the center of all the attention. After a while I got to talk to Kjakan again. When I asked him for signatures on my two programs, he signed them, while his wife said smilingly, ”I wish they were checkes….”.
All the top notches now wantet to talk to Kjakan, pose in front of the statue – alone or with that mayor, and talk to each other. The news media guys were of course close behind.
Statue of Max Manus 2011-j13
After a while it thinned out and I finally got a chance to take propor look at the statue.
There was Manus, as always a head above the rest, even the mayor Wink
Statue of Max Manus 2011-j15
I have taken part in putting up two similar staues and I’m so glad they chose a naturalistic one, where you clearly see who this is. It is a prettey statue, unveiled after a proper seremony, for well deserving man.
Statue of Max Manus Max-0010
Statue of Max Manus 2011-j17

Last edited by Cutstone on Thu 9 Jun 2011 - 2:26; edited 3 times in total
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pearson Thu 9 Jun 2011 - 11:33

Thanks to Cutstone for a super and interesting write-up. Unfortunately, I was unable to be there in person but was certainly there in spirit and the write-up certainly helped to fill in some gaps.

The statue looks great and has captured the essence of Max Manus very well. For what it's worth I think that Per Ung has done a fantastic job.

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down