Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

on-line source for Admiralty War Diary 1939-1945

3 posters

Go down

on-line source for Admiralty War Diary 1939-1945 Empty on-line source for Admiralty War Diary 1939-1945

Post  Mark C. Jones Sat 11 May 2013 - 2:09

There is a wonderful on-line naval history resource that I thought members of this forum would find potentially useful. An American company www.fold3.com specializes in digitizing military, naval and aviation documents from the U.S. National Archives. Fold3 operates a subscription service with the documents available over the web. They have a wide variety of U.S. military records from different time periods but what I have made extensive use of is the Royal Navy’s Admiralty War Diary 1939-1945. This war diary is a compilation of enormous numbers of messages sent between various high ranking Royal Navy officers regarding a wide variety of topics. There are frequent references to Norwegian merchant ships as well as the occasional mention of Norwegian warships. Royal Navy operations along the coast of Norway are also the subject of messages. Among the most common types of messages were announcements that certain ships had departed from or arrived at a particular port, or been damaged or sunk. This immense document with thousands of pages can be fully explored using the website’s search function. There is a free seven day trial available.

Mark C. Jones

Mark C. Jones

Back to top Go down

on-line source for Admiralty War Diary 1939-1945 Empty Re: on-line source for Admiralty War Diary 1939-1945

Post  Bjørn Mon 13 May 2013 - 13:28

Hello, and thanks a lot!! Most interesting.

B

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

on-line source for Admiralty War Diary 1939-1945 Empty Re. ON-LINE SOURCE FOR ADMIRALTY WAR DIARY 1939-1945

Post  Cutstone Mon 13 May 2013 - 21:33

I have used them many times and each time I find new and unique material and photos. An excellent site, not always easy to navigate.
Did not know of these war diaries. Thanks Mark!
Atle
Cutstone
Cutstone

Back to top Go down

on-line source for Admiralty War Diary 1939-1945 Empty Re: on-line source for Admiralty War Diary 1939-1945

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down