Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pellengahr division in Norway

+2
AltforNorge
Simon
6 posters

Go down

Pellengahr division in Norway Empty Pellengahr division in Norway

Post  martylee Sun 26 Oct 2008 - 9:47

I've just started on a project where I intend to make a exhibition showing the battle that took place in my hometown Moelv and the surrounding area. The exhibition will take place april-august 2010, which leaves me with 18 months to finish it. The exhibition will have 1) Written information on board telling the story, 2) Photos from the battle that took place, 3) Static display of uniforms, weapons and vehicles and 4) A guide that really knows the history. At the moment I'm gathering information and getting the right people into the project.

Operation Weserübung, the invasion of Norway headed by Nikolaus von Falkenhorst. In the second part of april forces of 196. division of the 21. german army corps went thru Moelv and Ringsaker where they were met my heavy resistance. Group Schäfer with infantery and artillery fought throughout the 19th and 20th before pushing norwegian forces back.

What I need is to know what kind of equipment they were using. Especially there's a 105mm howitzer mentioned in a book I read. But all kind of information about equipment would be apriciated. What kind of vehicles and cannons were they using. If someone has a photo of the Pellengahr division that would be really nice.

I know that these units were in the Pellengahr division.
196. Infanterie-Division
Infanterie-Regiment 340
Infanterie-Regiment 345
Infanterie-Regiment 362
Artillerie-Regiment 223
223 Aufklärungs-Abt.
223 Panzerabwehr-Abt.
Pionier-Bn. 223
223 Nachrichten-Abt.

Hope some of you can help me!

Marty

martylee

Back to top Go down

Pellengahr division in Norway Empty Re: Pellengahr division in Norway

Post  Bjørn Sun 26 Oct 2008 - 15:48

Interesting project!

I guess you mean German equipment??
First I reccomend that you buy or borrow the book "Vi dro mot nord. Felttoget i Norge i april 1940" by Arneberg and Hosar. Some very interesting pictures there.

For vehicles, you should read the article here: http://www.nuav.net/panzer.html
Otherwise Robert has a nice site at http://hem.fyristorg.com/robertm/norge/

Yes, the Germans used 10.5 cm cannons.

Could you specify what equipment you are "looking for"?

B

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  martylee Sun 26 Oct 2008 - 22:15

Thank you for responding to my post!

The book is a good advice and I will look for it! The link was also helpful!

I interviewed an old man last monday and he verified that the germans attacked "Lundehøgda" with a 105mm howitzer. He said it was located where the Mesna garage is today. He remembers it as a gun with a very long barrel. Of course these local names does not tell you much.
What I need to know is if this howitzer was the 10,5 cm LeFeldHaubitze 18, and what kind of vehicle would pull this one. The gun can be seen at this site: http://ww2photo.mimerswell.com/

And yes, it is the german equipment I'd like to know more about.

Marty

martylee

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Tue 28 Oct 2008 - 19:56

Hello!
I would also reccomend "Krigen i Norge" by Andreas Hauge, that has pictures of the mentioned skirmish.
For vehicle: almost everything could tow a cannon like a LfH 18.

If it was German at all, it would have been one of these: http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Waffen/zugkraftwagen.htm
For the gun itself, check the links here, and click on the links in the article as well:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Waffen/haubitzen.htm
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Waffen/feldkanonen.htm

None of these have particular long barrels, but you should see for yourself.

B

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Post  martylee Tue 28 Oct 2008 - 22:49

Thank you once again!

I'm certain it is the FH18 10,5 cm and very likely to be pulled by horses since the regiment had 58 horses. The barrel is not very long, but it's many years ago they saw it.
The site you linked me up to is very intresting and I've found lots of information there and also good photos.

Thanks!

Marty

martylee

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon Wed 29 Oct 2008 - 0:34

Yes, you're quite right about the field gun being a 10.5cm leFH18, the standard medium field gun in German infantry divisions. You can actually see one in action at Kvam in the film 'Kampf um Norwegen' as well as a very short clip of Generalleutnant Pellengahr.

By the way, a German infantry division was mostly horsedrawn, every division employing thousands of horses.

Simon

Back to top Go down

Post  martylee Wed 29 Oct 2008 - 22:15

Thanks Simon!

I gotta watch that movie again then. If anyone has any goog photos of the leFH18 being pulled, I'd really like to see it.

Marty

martylee

Back to top Go down

Pellengahr division in Norway Empty Destroyed tank in Moelv (Ring) 1940

Post  martylee Thu 30 Oct 2008 - 9:55

While studying the german campaign in norway 1940, I found this photo of a tank that was left behind at Ring on April 21st. Can anyone tell me what make it is? I'll try to find out what happened to it.
Pellengahr division in Norway 0412-11295-1

Marty

martylee

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon Sat 1 Nov 2008 - 1:06

Here you go

Link

Simon

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Sat 1 Nov 2008 - 16:35

As an old artilleryman I would like to point out that Canon/Howitzer are not the same. The ratio between length of the barrel and the diameter of the barel tells wether it is a howitzer or a canong. Simply explained - A canon fires grenades in a lower angle. A Howitzer in a much higher angle. From a howitzer a grenade can almost come down in 90 degrees. An advantage when shooting over something, a mountain or a building.
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Sat 1 Nov 2008 - 18:10

AltForNorge is absolutely right.

For the NbFz on the picture, I reccomend this link http://www.nuav.net/panzer.html in addition to the one provided by Simon.

B

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Pellengahr division in Norway Empty More guns and tanks.

Post  martylee Sun 2 Nov 2008 - 11:01

Thank you all!

I've posted at seveeal forums as some of you might have seen, but this is (not suprising) where I find most information about the war in Norway.
Also thank you about pointing out the difference between the different artillery bits. Though I am aware of the difference between cannon and howitzer, I haven't until lately been able to decide what was used against the norwegian troops at Lundehøgda. Of course a howitzer as described!

About the tank photo I posted, that some of you also gave information about. The photo at Hedemarksmuseet.no says it was left behind just outside Moelv, at Ring! I haven't seen any written information about that. Could it be a mistake and that it was left behind at Kvam (further up Gudbrandsdalen) instead. I know some artillery were used against at least two german tanks there.

Marty

martylee

Back to top Go down

Post  Waleed Y. Majeed Sun 2 Nov 2008 - 14:11

Not much to add, but part of an online book has a few pictures
of various artillery etc. Pellengahr is also mentioned.
http://books.google.dk/books?id=VjDG09h86OwC&pg=PA61&lpg=PA61&dq=Pellengahr+division&source=bl&ots=EA5yt4_zTH&sig=UHaeN5Rp3I9Zev-SGe3M1K9zJxA&hl=da&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result

Mr. Niehorster is seldom wrong. On his site he has the 233. artillery
group and transport echelons attached to the 196th ID.
I can't find any 223rd. in Norway and I don't think they changed
"numbers" from April 9th. to April 19th and 20th.
http://niehorster.orbat.com/011_germany/40-04_scandinavia/corps_21.html

waleed

Waleed Y. Majeed

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjørn Sun 2 Nov 2008 - 14:59

Hei!
Kan anbefale dette utdraget fra regimentet, selv om det er noen feilstavinger, er det lett å tolke:

AR 233
Während des Norwegen-Feldzuges 1940 wurde vom Regiment u.a. die I. Staffel der 4. Batterie in Norwegen eingesetzt. Hier der Bericht:

Eingesetzt wurde die I. Staffel der Batterie mit 4 l.FH. 18, 1 Fe-Wagen, 4 Muni-Wagen, 1 LKW, 1 Krad, 103 Offiziere und Mannschaften sowie 58 Pferden. Der Rest der Batterie blieb als II. Staffel in Danzig-Langfuhr zurück. Am 7. April 1940 rückte die Batterie um 16.30 Uhr aus dem Kasernenhof in Langfuhr ab. Die Batterie marschierte in der Kolonne des Infanterie-Regiment 340 in Richtung Gotenhafen. Sofort nach dem Eintreffen dort wurde die Batterie auf den Dampfer "Wolfram" verladen. Mit auf den Dampfer kamen ein Bataillon des Infanterie-Regiment 345 und der Stab des Infanterie-Regiment 340. Am 8. April 1940 um 8 Uhr morgens wurden die Anker gelichtet. Im Geleitzug wurde Kurs auf Oslo genommen. Auf der Fahrt wurden die Schiffe "Wigbert" und "Friedenau" durch ein britisches Unterseeboot oder durch Minen versenkt.

Am 11. April 1940 wurde Oslo erreicht und bis 19 Uhr war die Batterie entladen. Durch Oslo marschierte die Batterie sofort nach Lilleström. Am 14. April 1940 musste die Batterie von ihren vier Geschützen ein Geschütz für einen Sonderauftrag abgeben. Es wurde getrennt von der Batterie eingesetzt. Um 11 Uhr des 14. April 1940 marschierte die Batterie weiter in Richtung Eidsvol - Hamer im Verband mit dem Infanterie-Regiment 345. Abends wurde in Klöfta Quartier bezogen. Am 15. April 1940 wurden in Klöfta zwei LKW und ein Lieferwagen requiriert, um schneller vorwärts zu kommen und die Pferde zu schonen. Über Vormsund ging es nach Fenstad und bis um 22 Uhr nach Eidsvol, wo Quartier bezogen wurde. Die Brücke in Eidsvol war gesprengt, so dass am folgenden Tag der Mjösensee auf einer Umgehungsstraße bis Langseth umrundet wurde.

Vor Strandlökka kam die Batterie dann zum Einsatz. Das Dorf wurde schwer verteidigt und das hier angreifende Infanterie-Regiment 345 hatte bereits Verluste erlitten. Gegen 16 Uhr eröffnete die Batterie das Feuer und schaltete mehrere MG-Nester aus. Am nächsten Tag unterstützte die Batterie das Infanterie-Regiment 362 bei seinem Angriff auf Strandlökka. Dabei geriet die Batterie unter das Feuer der ebenfalls anwesenden I. Abteilung des eigenen Regiments. Nur durch viel Glück wurde dabei niemand verwundet. Bis zum Abend konnte die Infanterie den Ort Strandlökka nehmen. Am 18. April 1940 marschierte die Batterie dann über Tangen und Stange nach Ottestad. Bei Vang östlich von Hamer, brachte die Batterie dann ihre Geschütze in Richtung auf Elverum in Stellung. Es kam aber zu keinem Einsatz und die Batterie marschierte am 19. April 1940 in Richtung Lillehammer.

Vor Brummendahl erhielt die Batterie MG-Feuer, welches aber durch den Einsatz eines Geschützes zum Schweigen gebracht werden konnte. Anschließend wurde Brummendahl erreicht, um das ebenfalls noch gekämpft wurde. Hier wurde für die Nacht Quartier bezogen werden. Am 20. April 1940 marschierte die Batterie zusammen mit einer Gruppe Infanterie dann über Aasmark in Richtung Lillehammer. Auf der Straße über das Lundehögda-Gebirge kam es immer wieder zu Schießereien mit norwegischen Einheiten, wobei Oberleutnant Mattern getötet wurde. Am 21. April 1940 wurde Aasmark erreicht, das feindbesetzt ist. Bis zum Abend hatte sich der Gegner im Feuer der Batterie aus dem Ort zurückgezogen. Am 22. April 1940 wurde dann am Abend Lillehammer erreicht.

Hier wurde ein neuer LKW requiriert, da einer der alten inzwischen liegen geblieben war. Anschließend marschierte die Abteilung weiter. Vor Tretten erhielt die Infanterie schweres Feuer durch britische Einheiten. Wieder feuerten die Geschütze in den Ort, worauf die Briten sich auf LKW zurückzogen. Durch den Beschuss fing der Ort Feuer, so dass er erst gegen Abend durchquert werden konnte. Am 24. April 1940 erreichte die Batterie am Morgen Tromsnes, wo es zu einem kurzen Scharmützel kam. Um 14 Uhr wurde der Vormarsch fortgesetzt. Vor Ringebu bleibt der Vormarsch der Vorausabteilung vor einer Sperre liegen. Diese kann aber mit wenigen Schuss der Batterie durchbrochen werden. Am nächsten Tag kam es zu Kämpfen um den Ort Kwam, der zwei Tage lang von den Engländern und den Norwegern verteidigt wurde. Erst am Abend des 26. April 1940 wurde der Ort genommen. Anschließend ging es, immer wieder in Gefechte verwickelt, weiter nach Vangen, bis am 1. Mai 1940 Dombaas erreicht wurde.

Am 2. Mai 1940 rückte die Batterie dann gegen 17 Uhr in Andalsnes ein, wo sie Quartier bezog und sich auf die Aufgaben der Küstenverteidigung vorbereitete. Insgesamt wurden beim Vormarsch 1.006 Schuss abgegeben.

Ligger bl.a ute på http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/ArtReg/Gliederung.htm

Bjørn

Back to top Go down

Pellengahr division in Norway Empty Dont forget the Central Archives

Post  Lars G Sun 14 Dec 2008 - 16:13

Hello

I would recommend you to visit the Riksarkivet (Norwegian Central Archives) in Oslo at have a look at the reports which were written about Moelv by the Norwegian officers.

www.arkivverket.no

If you don't know how to find the reports, don't hesitate to send me an e-mail (lars@oppdal.com)

Lars G,
Tyholt

Lars G

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down