Norway during ww2 forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Norwegian Assassinations

3 posters

Go down

Norwegian Assassinations Empty Norwegian Assassinations

Post  Bob Pearson Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 21:43

And now for something completely different...

Does anyone happen to know when the first collaborator assassinations were carried out in Norway? I am aware of SOE Operations Bittern & Antrum, but were there other missions during or before 1942?

Mvh

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Norwegian Assassinations Empty Re: Norwegian Assassinations

Post  AltforNorge Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:00

I think Egil Ulateig a couple of years ago wrote a book about this. He really put his hands in the hornets nest. I will try to find out some more

http://bokelskere.no/bok/med-rett-til-aa-drepe/151807/
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Norwegian Assassinations Empty Norwegian Assassinations

Post  Bob Pearson Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 15:21

Hi Alt for Norge,

Many thanks for that. I am particularly interested in single assassinations in Oslo whereby the perpetrator escaped to Sweden.

Cheers

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  hoh Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 23:32

I have read several books and articles written by Ulateig and he seems generally very well informed, but the book “Med rett til å drepe” seems to me as a left hand work, where a.o. Germans killed in a skirmish with uniformed British servicemen is listed as assassinated by Norwegian Home Front.

Arnfinn Moland later wrote a book “Over grensen” as an answer to Ulateig’s work. Of course there are questions asked on Moland’s credibility, as he is employed at the Home Front’s museum, but so far none serious objection is known to me about the cases he is listing in his book.
According to Moland the first assassination took place March 1942 and was carried out by Johannes Andersen aka Gulosten, before he ran off to UK via Sweden, joined SOE and became a member of ops Bittern.

Moland gives four more cases in the year 1942; three carried out by Milorg and one by a communist group. Later there where established a cooperation between Milorg and communist groups (Osvald-gruppa and Saborg), because there were easier to find men willing and able to take such tasks amongst the commies. For these cases there are few informations given about the assassinators

mvh hoh

hoh

Back to top Go down

Norwegian Assassinations Empty Arfinn Moland

Post  Bob Pearson Thu 28 Apr 2011 - 18:43

Hei Hans,

many thanks for what you have written - most useful.

I now have Andersen's file, amongst others, but for me the most important aspect was whether assassinations took place before Gulosten became involved. The key to what I am looking for is the escape to Sweden.

Thanks again

Bob

Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  AltforNorge Thu 28 Apr 2011 - 22:44

As far as I recall, "Gulosten's" assacination was not cleared with UK on before hand.
AltforNorge
AltforNorge

Back to top Go down

Norwegian Assassinations Empty Gulosten - Yellow Cheese

Post  Bob Pearson Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 21:14

Many thanks for the tip. I am now looking at Gulosten's 'work' - it makes for interesting reading to say the least...

Mvh

Bob
Bob Pearson
Bob Pearson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down